• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel recall

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Hi everyone! I am trying to recall train my cockatiel and it seems to be going quite well! He is more responsive when I call him. I wanted to ask what you feed you birds as a reward? Pippa will not stay interested in training if I use seeds.(any kind of seed, even his favorites) Sometimes I use Cheerios as a training treat(only a few) because he loves them. Do you have any suggestions as to what to feed him so I can keep him interested in training?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Keep mixing up the treats, that way your bird can´t decide beforehand if they want X treat, they have to come and see what the treat is.
Have you tried sesame seeds? A small piece of a smashed almond? A small piece of bird bread?

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Keep mixing up the treats, that way your bird can´t decide beforehand if they want X treat, they have to come and see what the treat is.
Have you tried sesame seeds? A small piece of a smashed almond? A small piece of bird bread?
Smashed almond is a great idea! He likes those! Thanks!

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our Churchill loves coming for a cheerio too. We buy the organic no sugar version, it’s not actually cheerio brand. I’d tell you the brand but we tossed the box when we put the cereal in his Tupperware container. He loves the grains from Bob’s Red Mill hot cereal too. It’s a bunch of different grains together in one bag that supposedly you’re to mix with water on the stove to make oatmeal. But really it’s cockatiel crack to get them off the curtain rods or down from the railings on the loft. I usually put like half a teaspoon flat on my palm and like a child, he takes his time “finding” the best one he’s currently in the mood for after he’s flown down to my hand.

Attachments

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Our Churchill loves coming for a cheerio too. We buy the organic no sugar version, it’s not actually cheerio brand. I’d tell you the brand but we tossed the box when we put the cereal in his Tupperware container. He loves the grains from Bob’s Red Mill hot cereal too. It’s a bunch of different grains together in one bag that supposedly you’re to mix with water on the stove to make oatmeal. But really it’s cockatiel crack to get them off the curtain rods or down from the railings on the loft. I usually put like half a teaspoon flat on my palm and like a child, he takes his time “finding” the best one he’s currently in the mood for after he’s flown down to my hand.
Thanks so much!