• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel owner

Lolipop10

Moving in
Real Name
Seif
Hi, I have a cockatiel that has about 45 days he comes when i call him only if i'm leaving from the room or there is a treat but if i just call him to pet him or anything he ignores me and starts to play with anything around him or just sleep so how can I fix this as i want him to come whenever i call him cause sometimes i call him cause he is playing with some electric things

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome! :hello1:

I've had mine over a year and he doesn't come every time I call :roflmao: they're a bit like cats.

It's only been a month and a half or so for y'all, so it's definitely going to take some more time. I'd make sure any wires or anything he's not supposed to mess with is gotten as much out of the way as you can get it - really bird proof the area.

What are you doing so far for training? How have y'all been working on it?

Lolipop10

Moving in
Real Name
Seif
Hello and welcome! :hello1:

I've had mine over a year and he doesn't come every time I call :roflmao: they're a bit like cats.

It's only been a month and a half or so for y'all, so it's definitely going to take some more time. I'd make sure any wires or anything he's not supposed to mess with is gotten as much out of the way as you can get it - really bird proof the area.

What are you doing so far for training? How have y'all been working on it?
I handfed him when he was 16 until he became 32 and he knew his own whispering and he came everytime until he started to eat on himself and started ignoring my calls until he fully ignored them all so i started training him again on treats he always comes when i prepare a treat for him but when not he comes about a time from 30 so that made me kinda sad that i lost the bond with him

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It sounds like he looks at you as a parent type bond, and is establishing his independence by not coming to you, or only coming when he chooses to.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
With a lot of time and patience, really. Keep rewarding him every time he comes when you call, and don't get too frustrated when he doesn't come - they're very smart and can be fiercely independent when they want to be. Just keep trying. He may get to that point eventually, but it very likely won't be within the next month or so.

Lolipop10

Moving in
Real Name
Seif
With a lot of time and patience, really. Keep rewarding him every time he comes when you call, and don't get too frustrated when he doesn't come - they're very smart and can be fiercely independent when they want to be. Just keep trying. He may get to that point eventually, but it very likely won't be within the next month or so.
I even have a clicker that i use it when he does come and give him a treat but i mean maybe cause he is still growing pen feathers he doesn't want anyone to touch him maybe that is why he ignores my calls