• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel help please!

mama_nana

Moving in
Real Name
Teri
Sponsored Links

I have a male & female Cockatiel that seem to be smitten with each other, according to everything I've read. He follows & stays beside her constantly, he shows his dominance if my other male comes close to her, grooms her, etc...The first problem I have is that he grooms her so much that she is actually losing the feathers on the back of her neck. She has a bald patch there now. He constantly picks at her and at times it hurts her so much that she cries out. She bites him when he does this, but then he does it again, over & over. He never learns not to do that even when she bites him. I've tried separating them, but then they both scream until I let them back together. What do I do?
Secondly, I haven't actually seen them mate yet, but when she lays eggs they take turns sitting on them. He stays by her side and guards while she sits on them during the night, and then in the morning she gets up and he sits on them all day. They both get very aggresive if anyone goes near the eggs, and they never leave them unattended. The thing is none of them have ever hatched. So if they are not mating, would he still take such a strong role on the egg sitting and protecting? If they are mating, why would the eggs not hatch? Please if anyone could help me with these two questions I would be so grateful!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even if they are mating it doesn't always mean that the eggs are fertile. Also it's possible that if they are fertile something goes wrong along the way, such as improper incubation, genetic factors, etc. and the embryos just are not viable. How long do you leave the eggs for? BTW, are your pair related? Have you ever candled the eggs to see if there is any development? Here's a link about candling: How to Candle Cockatiel Eggs - Totally Tiels I have touched eggs without gloving.

mama_nana

Moving in
Real Name
Teri
I have candled them, and once I thought that a couple of them had the red vein like things in them, but they never hatched. I usually leave them till they give up and quit sitting on them, which is usually about 4 weeks. No, they are not related.
Do you know what I should do about him picking on her? They are currently sitting on eggs, so I hate to separate them now. ..but he just wont stop.
Thanks!

PiPeter

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peter
I also have a problem with my female pionus over-grooming the male pionus. He now has a bald head. I know that's not necessarily your primary problem. But, if you find a solution to the plucking of the mate, please let me know. Thanks!

mama_nana

Moving in
Real Name
Teri
I also have a problem with my female pionus over-grooming the male pionus. He now has a bald head. I know that's not necessarily your primary problem. But, if you find a solution to the plucking of the mate, please let me know. Thanks!
I'm sorry, but so far no solution. =( Not very many people answering my thread.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The only other thing I can think of is temporary separation. It's a difficult situation.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you separate them so they can be in different cages, but next to each other? Some birds are a bit aggressive with the preening to baldness to the other bird. If he plucks and hurts her,,,,he may pluck and hurt any babies that come along. Best not to let them hatch eggs, for the safety of the chicks. Sorry honey.

PiPeter

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peter
Too bad there doesn't seem to be a simple solution to the plucking of one bird to another. But, I might try one of the soft Elizabethan Collars to see if it distracts the plucker [in my case, the female]. Maybe she will just play with the collar and leave him [the pluckee] alone? I hesitate since I'm afraid he'll hate wearing the collar. But, there's only one way to tell...

mama_nana

Moving in
Real Name
Teri
I called a Avian Veterinarian here in Tacoma and they said although it's undesirable when one bird picks at another bird that bad, it's not an emergency that I separate them. I thought it would be, but guess I was wrong. They said after this clutch is over, bring her in and they would take a look at her. I guess I just thought it to be more serious than that.