• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiel feeling unwell

heisenberg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hamdi
Hello , today I noticed my cockatiel is not in her usual perch in the morning , she went to the downside perch and she didn't eat like she used to and it seems like she didn't sleep in the morning too , when I got her out she felt so light when I put her on fingers , and she seems like she was losing balance when she is on my finger she moves her wings and fly no matter how many times I pick her it's just like she is losing balance ... also her poop looks a bit different , it's with more liquid , there is small poop but surrounded in more liquid than usual ... I tried to give her water and she drank , but eat very little and she is just statying in one place ...

her eyes are wide open and she is able to fly and she makes the usual sounds , but in these days it seems like she is molting since I noticed she is losing feathers ... can this molting be the reason for what's happening or there is something more serious ? she molted before , she is 2 years but this didn't happen once ,only now ... so I'm just confused hope you help me

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's really hard to say without seeing her. Molting can make a bird a bit lethargic, and the stress of molting can give some watery droppings. It shouldn't really affect her appetite, I don't think, but I guess could. She shouldn't be losing balance. Have you weighed her? Is she actually losing weight? If you have concerns, to be safe, I would take her to a vet to be checked. Keep us posted please. I hope everything is okay.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This would be enough to warrant a health check by vet. Birds hide being sick untill they have used up reserves and just can't hide it anymore. So it better to get in the earliest you notice any changes.

Being sick can cause weakness Wich looks like loosing balance. And can cause then to eat less ...

Molts put a lot of stress on them, and if the had an underlying health issue it can overtake them when molts. Molts need extra calories as do sick birds.. a healthy diet is so important to protect health. All seed isn't complete nutrition. Does yours eat veggies and some pellets?

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
IMO, if your small bird has lost enough weight that they feel lighter on your hand, there’s a problem. Seeming to lose balance is also very concerning.

If you’ve got a vet available I would bring her in to be checked out. It’s better to find a problem early. Although I hope she’s just molting and feeling rough from that.