• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel and budgie preening each other?

sophieb821

Strolling the yard
Ok I know you guys are going to criticise me on this, but my two cockatiels (brother and siste) have been living in a large cage outside, and my budgie (Mello) was living with her friend sky the budgie. Sadly sky passed away a while ago and mello became very lonely. She was very good friends with my cockatiels, so a took a risk and caged them together. Yes I know this was stupid but they all get along very well. Just now I was watching out the window at them because it was very windy so I was watching over them when I spotted Mohawk (the male teil) preening mello the budgie. It was only a few days before I found three infertile budgie eggs on the cage floor. Should I split them apart immediately? Sorry for the back quality :( it is really hard to tell, he actually isn’t on top of her he has one leg clinging to the side of the cage. He is also taking to her a lot. (Sorry it looks much better in the video, but I can’t post videos, so I have just taken a rushed screenshot)

Attachments

sophieb821

Strolling the yard
The cockatiel is the grey spot on top of the yellow budgie.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I had a budgie and cockatiel about 8years ago now they used to preen each other they were very bonded did have separate cages but the cockatiel used to go into budgies cage to sleep so I bought them a big cage to share they lived happily together for about two years (although my cockatiel used to scream to get out of cage but that was same when she was in her own cage too) until Henry died I had him about 6years maybe just keep an eye on them see how they get along I know budgies can be high energy for cockatiels

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You need to link your footage from another site like YouTube, Instagram, fb, Vimeo etc

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I wouldn’t separate them unless they’re fighting. Budgies are known to have strong bonds with their flock. Plus mating isn’t a bad thing, it’s a natural behavior.

Emi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emilia kargol
cocatiels and budgies are known for bonding with eachother, that's why a lot of people keep them in the same cage. that's totally normal.