• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockateil cages

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
What are good cages and the recommended size for one cockateil.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Info on wingspan: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

A cockatiel's wingspan is 19.5" so to give the bird enough room to stretch, you want a cage at least 32x21"

The ideal cage is long and wide, and not necessarily tall. Birds aren't helicopters and can't utilise height for flying. In a tall cage, birds tend to use the top half/third and ignore the lower section, so you end up with a lot of wasted space.

If you let us know what country you're in, someone will be able to help identify a suitable cage.

Mantis64

Info on wingspan: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

A cockatiel's wingspan is 19.5" so to give the bird enough room to stretch, you want a cage at least 32x21"

The ideal cage is long and wide, and not necessarily tall. Birds aren't helicopters and can't utilise height for flying. In a tall cage, birds tend to use the top half/third and ignore the lower section, so you end up with a lot of wasted space.

If you let us know what country you're in, someone will be able to help identify a suitable cage.
I live in the UK

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, here are some useful sites:

You're looking for something about 81x53 cm

This is a little smaller than recommended: https://www.northernparrots.com/flight-cage-prod950075a/ or Liberta Flight Cage With Stand (I think it's the same cage)

Minimum size: https://www.northernparrots.com/amazona-2-top-opening-parrot-cage-and-stand-prod950530a/ or Rainforest Amazona III Bird Cage With Stand or Rainforest Santa Fe II Medium Bird Cage

Very spacious: Montana Paradiso 150 Indoor Aviary or Rainforest Flight Double Bird Cage

Unfortunately, cage choice is a lot more limited in the UK than it is in the US. I ended up ordering a custom cage from Rosemead Aviaries (Home). I got an 100x80 cm cage three years ago and I'm very happy with it.

Last edited: