• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning non-organic produce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
I want to start making some healthier foods for the fids and having an Ekkie in the house is the perfect excuse to start. I am uncertain if I will be able to find organic kale and other fresh (or even frozen) organics around for some of the recipes that I've seen for Ekkies.

If I need to use non-organics for some things to get the right produce is there something I can use to clean the chemicals off as best I can? I don't want to always have to use, as an example, frozen organic spinach as the greens in the layered salad. Or will my fids be better off with sticking with organics? Do you wash your organics in anything special too? I've heard to wash non-organics in vinegar to rid them of chemicals but this is as far as my knowledge goes.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide needs to stay in a brown bottle but you can attach a spray top to it. Spray the produce with one sit a moment then spray with the other. The article says it doesn't matter what order you spray. You don't have to rinse either. Let sit for a short time and you are done. I like to rinse off heavy organic matter first.

Peggy

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
"Fit" is another product just like Veggie wash if you can find it.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use Fit and it works well :)

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Fit, is that the one that came in a kit with a spinner to dry the produce when done?

I will look for it if I need too. I hope to find organic produce for my needs, or do you use the fit on the organic as well?

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I clean it if its organic too. Too many hands touching it :gag: I just buy the container of Fit, not sure if they have a kit or not. I fill the sink and clean everything in there, rinse and dry :)

FunnyBird

Strolling the yard
I’ve been soaking/ washing all the fruits and veggies that come into the house with Seventh Generation dish soap. I like this product a lot because it’s totally nontoxic, good bang for your buck and easily available at all supermarkets. Again, I really like the price and there are always coupons available (in-store & their own website).

Seventh Generation dishwashing soap

Status
Not open for further replies.