• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning a rope perch

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What is the best and safest way to deep clean a rope perch ?

i wipe the perch down regularly with a wet cloth but would like to give it a really good clean, i clean all of my other perches with F10 but dont use it on the rope perch as i didnt think it would be safe as the rope would absorb the chemical and i couldnt be sure the F10 wasnt present after rinsing.

Any advice would be appreciated

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Heres a alternative to f10 thats overall better and less caustic .
A natural ap

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Pretty sure @Mizzely does hers in the dishwasher.
As long as the rope dries out properly in a decent time frame you can wash it however you like.

If you’re using F10SC you don’t have to rinse- just dry

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Heres a alternative to f10 thats overall better and less caustic .
A natural ap
F10 is not effective on porous surfaces.
You're wasting product its much better to clean with simple soap and dry in sun . Uva and uvb rays will disinfect cloth
F10 is formulated to work on non porous surfaces.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What is the best and safest way to deep clean a rope perch ?
I´ve read many people tell of sticking them in the dishwasher.

I put them in a bucket of hot soapy water, leave for two mins to soak any hard muck areas, then using a cloth wipe down the ropes. I use a small toothbrush to get into any nooks that have muck in that the cloth won´t get to. Rinse under the tap and then hang out to dry/lay out to dry on a cooling rack - you want air to circulate around the perches/boings.

edit; this is the dishsoap I use. Fairy 0% (it´s transparent and odorless) I use it to clean my whole house;
Fairy.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I´ve read many people tell of sticking them in the dishwasher.

I put them in a bucket of hot soapy water, leave for two mins to soak any hard muck areas, then using a cloth wipe down the ropes. I use a small toothbrush to get into any nooks that have muck in that the cloth won´t get to. Rinse under the tap and then hang out to dry/lay out to dry on a cooling rack - you want air to circulate around the perches/boings.

edit; this is the dishsoap I use. Fairy 0% (it´s transparent and odorless) I use it to clean my whole house;
View attachment 388728
Dishsoap = Washing up liquid :nocomment: lost in translation that i think.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I put it mine in the dishwasher with no soap or rinse aid, then let dry in the sun. If it can't be outside, I put it in the shower with a fan on it.

You could also throw them in the clothes washing machine inside a pillow case. If you have a front loader or one without an agitator you'll want to add a few towels (clean ones are fine) to give them something to rub up against.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the replies think the washing machine will be getting the rope perch,boing and atom thrown into it at the weekend.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Dishsoap = Washing up liquid :nocomment: lost in translation that i think.
Yes sorry, The Americanos call it dish soap and I´ve said it that way so many times on the forum that it´s stuck in my head that way now :lol:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
F10 is not effective on porous surfaces.
You're wasting product its much better to clean with simple soap and dry in sun . Uva and uvb rays will disinfect cloth
F10 is formulated to work on non porous surfaces.
F10SC is effective on porous surfaces but just how effective will depend on how well it has penetrated all the nooks and crannies.
I confirmed this with a chemical company before posting.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Throw it in the dishwasher, then dry in the sun..:)
Will be going in the washing machine as there is rinse aid in the dishwasher just hope we get some sunn not much of it about currently

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Last edited:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It actually says can be used on porous surfaces also taken from Amazon if you not Shez also advises this would depend on how well it penetrated.
Screenshot_20210717-221649_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Wardy
That's a question.
Some one is asking.
But hey, whatever you want to use is your choice.
:pinklol2:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m only sharing what I’ve been told- I am certainly not claiming that I’m 100% totally correct but I’d like to think that the advises I’ve received are credible given where/who I asked.

I’ve actually had trouble finding the manufacturer website even though I know I’ve looked at it before.

I contacted an F10 agent in Australia to ask my question about it being effective on porous surfaces. I was also told previously by a vet that I could use it to soak and wash ropes and other porous materials used by my bird when I asked them about thebuckets of F10 that they had in the clinic to soak towels before they were washed.

The answer I received when I contacted the chemical supplier here and asked about its use on porous surfaces… EC3D05B9-90D4-4873-83D3-479160AF7F00.png 3A478815-CCD6-4205-88CD-92CDC0615F5C.png
I would assume the dilution ratio may also make a difference to its effectiveness given that there are different recommendations for different viruses and bacterias.

@Wardy I personally would ignore the Amazon question and answer you’ve posted given that the answer was obviously posted by someone who hadn’t even read the label clearly stating that F10sc is Non corrosive.

There is possibly more effective and more economical disinfectants for porous surfaces than F10 but I use it heavy handed and for everything because we have 5lt of it.

@Just-passn-thru, please don’t think I’m trying to prove anyone right or wrong here- I’m still learning and I really appreciate the discussion content here as it’s given me and others some possible alternatives for disinfectants that may be more convenient.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I’m only sharing what I’ve been told- I am certainly not claiming that I’m 100% totally correct but I’d like to think that the advises I’ve received are credible given where/who I asked.

I’ve actually had trouble finding the manufacturer website even though I know I’ve looked at it before.

I contacted an F10 agent in Australia to ask my question about it being effective on porous surfaces. I was also told previously by a vet that I could use it to soak and wash ropes and other porous materials used by my bird when I asked them about thebuckets of F10 that they had in the clinic to soak towels before they were washed.

The answer I received when I contacted the chemical supplier here and asked about its use on porous surfaces… View attachment 389086 View attachment 389085
I would assume the dilution ratio may also make a difference to its effectiveness given that there are different recommendations for different viruses and bacterias.

@Wardy I personally would ignore the Amazon question and answer you’ve posted given that the answer was obviously posted by someone who hadn’t even read the label clearly stating that F10sc is Non corrosive.

There is possibly more effective and more economical disinfectants for porous surfaces than F10 but I use it heavy handed and for everything because we have 5lt of it.

@Just-passn-thru, please don’t think I’m trying to prove anyone right or wrong here- I’m still learning and I really appreciate the discussion content here as it’s given me and others some possible alternatives for disinfectants that may be more convenient.
I do appreciate that thankyou. Disinfectants are formulated differently depending on the suspension .
Not all can be applied on a variety of surfaces.
The method of delivery is what will dictate it's efficacy on a given surface. Here's a reliable resource for F10
F10 SC Veterinary Disinfectant | Aussie Vet Products