• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clancy's Check Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
We had Clancy in for his check up today. This was the first visit since he came to live with us. She gave him a clean bill of health except for being a little overweight. He weighed 473 grams today. I looked back through his record (previous owner used same vet) and he was 493 grams in September of 08 so he has slimmed down a little. I did switch him from Olive Garden, Chicken Wings and seed to a diet of pellets with fruits and veggies so I hope he slims down more just from having a healthier diet.

I need to think of ways to get him moving more. Other than pacing because he wants out, he is a perch potato! Any ideas on getting him moving more?

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Can you let him out of his cage and let him follow you around the house? My zon likes to go 'exploring', checking under chairs, climbing onto chairs, trying to climb the steps, etc. He loves to follow me around, and he sure gets a work out when he does. We also play games like tug of war, we practice wing flapping, etc. I'm glad you went with the name Clancy, I just love that name!

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
My zons are wanders too! Love to walk about to find me or get to their playgym in the living room. I have Bahama fly from the hallway to the playgym. I put food I know he will want to devour in a small bowl and have him come over to get it. When in the shower he loves to flap his wings (does Clancy get active during his showers?) Maybe sing or dance around with him, play some music and see if he reacts to it by dancing. So glad he had a clean bill of health! That's wonderful :highfive:

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
I have a great Dane also so I have to be careful about letting him wander.

He does get active with his shower when he's into it.

The dancing around is probably a good idea and it wouldn't hurt me to move a little more either.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Hahahaha - An Amazon slightly overweight... Who'd have thought.. :hehe:
Poor Clancy!

Maybe he needs a WII fit... :rofl:

Seriously though, great news about the clean bill of health and that he has slimmed down a little already - you're certainly heading in the right direction :)

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
Stevo said:
Maybe he needs a WII fit... :rofl::)
The thought actually crossed my mind! I thought that maybe if I bring him in by the wii fit and he sees me moving around than maybe he'll get the picture.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Is he clipped or can he fly? Flying burns calories.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
My amazon was a total perch potato when I first got her! LOL! I am glad that Clancy is heathy, thanks for the update! Sammy has become very active and I am pretty sure it is because I let her grow her flights out, she flies all over the birdroom, to her favorite boings, perches, etc. Does your amazon play with any kind of toys?

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
He isn't flying now. I'm trying to get him to care about toys. He loves tearing up paper and chewing up wood.

We just got two little cockatiels and since they all went to vet, they got moved into same room. Clancy keeps climbing off his cage and on to their cage. I guess that's some exercise but I think he wants to either attack the little ones, eat them (just kidding) or they are making him hormonal. I have a video I'll have to post later.

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
My tiels are in the same room too. Chewie does the same thing and for the same reasons it seems. I have to bring Bahama & Chewie out into the living room on their playgym when I want to bring the tiels out of their flight cage.

LOL - let me know if that Wii works, I might have to try that myself! :rofl:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
sounds like you are on the right road with a change in diet, it will come off :)

Status
Not open for further replies.