• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Citron and Noise

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Hi,

I’ve been really attracted to toos in the last few years and spend as much time with them as I can when I see them in bird stores where I buy supplies. The friendly ones seem almost human. I visited a U2 last week that when I greeted him, he came down from his perch to me, said hello, and extended his foot thru the cage to shake my hand. My jaw dropped in surprise. I think I let out an OMG.

Currently, there is a U2 that I have befriended in a store that I frequent that has me interested in getting a too of my own. I’m considering a citron. Are you’re eyes bulging while u vehemently shake ur head “no”?

There is a 3 mo old baby that I have my eye on that is very sweet and quiet (and extremely expensive). I spoke to another citron owner at the bird store that remarked at the baby’s temperament but told me his can be heard dn the street.

My situation:

I’m mid age and live alone w another bird. I work from home 6 days a week. My employer could require me to work onsite another day of the week (total 2), although that seems unlikely. We are about to work full time from home temporarily for about 6 mos. So perhaps its a good time to get another pet. Im home other than the gym several times a week, errands and meals out. Potentially the citron could go out w me except to the gym.

I own my unit in a duplex condo that has an HOA and a nuisance clause. The units are attached at the master bedrooms (buffered by a closet) where I currently spend most of my time, including working. The c2’s cage would be in the living room on the other-side of the house. I am awake b4 dawn, my neighbors sleep in. I usually keep my windows shut.

Like my other bird, the c2 would be out of its cage and w me (same room) most of the time. Unless its resting quietly, I would likely return the too to its cage during meetings like I do with my current bird. A cpl times a month I have very important online public meetings. I cant wake up my neighbors nor be disturbed during important meetings. Interestingly, my ast. director has large parrots (I’m assuming macaws or toos) that we hear during meetings. He just apologizes for the noise.

I have done my research and have read how the 2s personality can change at puberty, that they can be vicious psychopathic demon dragons from hell prone to bouts of screaming am and eve. I’ve also read about people w sweet quiet toos, including a rehoming ad, that I believe was for C2, where the owner said the too was quiet and apartment safe.

I previously decided to get a citron but am now cautious after my research… esp about acquiring the baby becuase I have no idea if he’ll develop into a maniacally screaming killer-klown.

I live in SoCal. Citrons seem rare here. I did not find any breeders. There are a few rescue orgs but no citrons. Old ads seem to indicate that C2s infrequently become available.

Questions:
Considering my situation, do I roll the dice with the baby or do I wait for an adult with a known quiet(er) temperament to become available? Are the latter so rare that its highly unlikely I’ll find one soon, if at all? Lastly, does my situation warrant a hard-pass on the citron?

Thanks in advance.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I personally wouldn't risk having a Too in a Condo with neighbors attached. Its such a huge chance of there being screaming issues and complains from this. I went through this with my last Conure he's a Crimson Bellied Conure wildly reported to be one of the quiter Conure species that has a deeper softer voice than the more high pitched Green Cheeks or Black capped Conures so I figured I'd be safe especially since I've had multiple Greenies in the apartment and never had an issue.
Nope that sadly wasn't the case he screamed almost as loud as a Sun Conure endlessly for hours at a time no matter what I did. Not only was I absolutely miserable but I lived in constant terror that at any minute my neighbors would come pounding on my door because of the noise. Now thankfully that never happened but I felt so guilty thinking about how my bird was probably disturbing my neighbors and it was a horrible feeling.
Clearly there are these rare circumstances where a large loud species is able to happily reside in an apt(I believe at one point we had a member with a Scarlet Macaw in an apartment) but I personally would be far too nervous for a variety of reasons to take that chance.
I'll tag some Too people for you for their thoughts:)
@scrape @Shezbug @JLcribber @sunnysmom @faislaq

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I personally wouldn't risk having a Too in a Condo with neighbors attached. Its such a huge chance of there being screaming issues and complains from this. I went through this with my last Conure he's a Crimson Bellied Conure wildly reported to be one of the quiter Conure species that has a deeper softer voice than the more high pitched Green Cheeks or Black capped Conures so I figured I'd be safe especially since I've had multiple Greenies in the apartment and never had an issue.
Nope that sadly wasn't the case he screamed almost as loud as a Sun Conure endlessly for hours at a time no matter what I did. Not only was I absolutely miserable but I lived in constant terror that at any minute my neighbors would come pounding on my door because of the noise. Now thankfully that never happened but I felt so guilty thinking about how my bird was probably disturbing my neighbors and it was a horrible feeling.
Clearly there are these rare circumstances where a large loud species is able to happily reside in an apt(I believe at one point we had a member with a Scarlet Macaw in an apartment) but I personally would be far too nervous for a variety of reasons to take that chance.
I'll tag some Too people for you for their thoughts:)
@scrape @Shezbug @JLcribber @sunnysmom @faislaq
thank you

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Hi,

I’ve been really attracted to toos in the last few years and spend as much time with them as I can when I see them in bird stores where I buy supplies. The friendly ones seem almost human. I visited a U2 last week that when I greeted him, he came down from his perch to me, said hello, and extended his foot thru the cage to shake my hand. My jaw dropped in surprise. I think I let out an OMG.

Currently, there is a U2 that I have befriended in a store that I frequent that has me interested in getting a too of my own. I’m considering a citron. Are you’re eyes bulging while u vehemently shake ur head “no”?

There is a 3 mo old baby that I have my eye on that is very sweet and quiet (and extremely expensive). I spoke to another citron owner at the bird store that remarked at the baby’s temperament but told me his can be heard dn the street.

My situation:

I’m mid age and live alone w another bird. I work from home 6 days a week. My employer could require me to work onsite another day of the week (total 2), although that seems unlikely. We are about to work full time from home temporarily for about 6 mos. So perhaps its a good time to get another pet. Im home other than the gym several times a week, errands and meals out. Potentially the citron could go out w me except to the gym.

I own my unit in a duplex condo that has an HOA and a nuisance clause. The units are attached at the master bedrooms (buffered by a closet) where I currently spend most of my time, including working. The c2’s cage would be in the living room on the other-side of the house. I am awake b4 dawn, my neighbors sleep in. I usually keep my windows shut.

Like my other bird, the c2 would be out of its cage and w me (same room) most of the time. Unless its resting quietly, I would likely return the too to its cage during meetings like I do with my current bird. A cpl times a month I have very important online public meetings. I cant wake up my neighbors nor be disturbed during important meetings. Interestingly, my ast. director has large parrots (I’m assuming macaws or toos) that we hear during meetings. He just apologizes for the noise.

I have done my research and have read how the 2s personality can change at puberty, that they can be vicious psychopathic demon dragons from hell prone to bouts of screaming am and eve. I’ve also read about people w sweet quiet toos, including a rehoming ad, that I believe was for C2, where the owner said the too was quiet and apartment safe.

I previously decided to get a citron but am now cautious after my research… esp about acquiring the baby becuase I have no idea if he’ll develop into a maniacally screaming killer-klown.

I live in SoCal. Citrons seem rare here. I did not find any breeders. There are a few rescue orgs but no citrons. Old ads seem to indicate that C2s infrequently become available.

Questions:
Considering my situation, do I roll the dice with the baby or do I wait for an adult with a known quiet(er) temperament to become available? Are the latter so rare that its highly unlikely I’ll find one soon, if at all? Lastly, does my situation warrant a hard-pass on the citron?

Thanks in advance.
Doesnt seem like posts can be edited. So I’ll add…

I don’t take this decision lightly. All of my pets have come w unexpected challenges. I am concerned for all involved, my neighbors, citron, my employer and my current bird. Full disclosure, he is a dove that is very attached to me. He is territorial with small objects that I touch. However, based on his behavior with other birds, I don’t think he’ll be aggressive with the too. If anything he will be terrified at first. Im hoping eventually he’ll get use to another bird in the house. The U2 owner said they should be fine together as long as I keep the dove away from the too’s cage.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I would hate for you to decide that a too isnt for you but ...I have had 2 toos in my life one sulfur crested and one Goffins both gotten as adults ...the sulfur crested screamed and bit a lot and after 2.5 yrs went back with his family who I hope still has him ..the Goffins I had to rehome due to screaming as my family couldnt stand it after 1.5 yrs of seeing if it would get better .. both hurt my heart as I really liked being a too mom but the screaming was really bad and I live in a house ..I have heard of toos that dont scream often and maybe you will land the jackpot ..I would try to volunteer at a bird rescue and check out the toos there ..maybe you will meet your heart bird :)

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I adore cockatoos! and am really lucky to volunteer at a sanctuary that has quite a few. Most of them are super loud at times - even just their happy yells :) And some are capital L Looouuuuuud lol - it seems to be just their personalities, too; none of them are "screamers", they just use their voices differently just like some people are louder than others and need to talk more than others. Some are super sweet and some are super sassy.

I agree that if there's any way for you to meet more 'toos in person, you'll have a much better idea of the noise level.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I would hate for you to decide that a too isnt for you but ...I have had 2 toos in my life one sulfur crested and one Goffins both gotten as adults ...the sulfur crested screamed and bit a lot and after 2.5 yrs went back with his family who I hope still has him ..the Goffins I had to rehome due to screaming as my family couldnt stand it after 1.5 yrs of seeing if it would get better .. both hurt my heart as I really liked being a too mom but the screaming was really bad and I live in a house ..I have heard of toos that dont scream often and maybe you will land the jackpot ..I would try to volunteer at a bird rescue and check out the toos there ..maybe you will meet your heart bird :)
Thx. There are rescues in the region but not near. ☹

Are there citrons at the sanctuary?

Last edited:

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I adore cockatoos! and am really lucky to volunteer at a sanctuary that has quite a few. Most of them are super loud at times - even just their happy yells :) And some are capital L Looouuuuuud lol - it seems to be just their personalities, too; none of them are "screamers", they just use their voices differently just like some people are louder than others and need to talk more than others. Some are super sweet and some are super sassy.

I agree that if there's any way for you to meet more 'toos in person, you'll have a much better idea of the noise level.
Thx.

The U2 that I visit most often is usually quiet, calm and friendly (we cuddle) but when he does squawk…oh boy! I understand U2 vol is much higher than citrons.

I wish I could RentAToo.

Last edited:

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Personally, I don't know how much noise a condo would cope with. I live in a house with acreage. I wouldn't roll the dice with a baby... Who knows what kind of bird you will get. And you will need to have the knowledge to raise such an intelligent species. At least with an adult you can hear the noise level upfront. That's what I'm thinking. Maybe wait a few months to see if some come up for adoption? I've seen all the white cockatoos come up for sale here, even though some are rare.
I just had a citron get adopted from my local rescue. She was very quiet, except for a few times a day. She had been neglected.
My rescue gets a lot of sulfer-crested Toos. We have three at the moment.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Personally, I don't know how much noise a condo would cope with. I live in a house with acreage. I wouldn't roll the dice with a baby... Who knows what kind of bird you will get. And you will need to have the knowledge to raise such an intelligent species. At least with an adult you can hear the noise level upfront. That's what I'm thinking. Maybe wait a few months to see if some come up for adoption? I've seen all the white cockatoos come up for sale here, even though some are rare.
I just had a citron get adopted from my local rescue. She was very quiet, except for a few times a day. She had been neglected.
My rescue gets a lot of sulfer-crested Toos. We have three at the moment.
You are right. Even my dove was quiet as a youngster. After puberty he turned into a crowing rooster.

I think your advice is good. I shouldn’t be in a hurry. I made the mistake of visiting the baby 3x last weekend and got attached. Clerks had to pry it out of my needy clutches to feed it before they closed one night. “No…MY baby!” Felt like one of those baby stealing women. In my head it was already mine…and then I read the horror stories online that made me pause.

Thank you.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Give this recent thread a read.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have no experience with citrons (haven’t even seen one tbh) but I’m guessing their scream will be very close to that of a SC2.
I have no clue what a duplex condo with HOA etc is or how well you can hear the neighbours through walls but what I do know is that no ordinary house/home wall would be built with enough focus on soundproofing to make it ok or fair to bring a cocky into a home that adjoins another persons/family’s living quarters. I can hear my cocky through a few walls in my home and he lives outside in the back yard so there’s also the open space the noise has to travel through first to get to me and I have hearing loss lol.
I do personally know of one lady who actually housed her cocky inside her massive home which was situated smack in the middle of 2acres of fairly dense bush garden… she had to move or get rid of her bird as the neighbours and their neighbours were able to prove to the authorities that her bird made enough of an unreasonable racket to disturb their rights to peace- It’s really not a common thing here to be able to get the law on your side for noise complaints, lol the police here laugh off noise complaints even if they are at 2am and unreasonably loud so to get them and other officials to agree that a lone cocky was making enough noise to force someone to sell their home in a country area is pretty telling about how much racket these guys can make.

I personally think it would be very unfair to anyone living in the home that has shared walls. The baby is also not the best idea unless you like surprises.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I have no experience with citrons (haven’t even seen one tbh) but I’m guessing their scream will be very close to that of a SC2.
I have no clue what a duplex condo with HOA etc is or how well you can hear the neighbours through walls but what I do know is that no ordinary house/home wall would be built with enough focus on soundproofing to make it ok or fair to bring a cocky into a home that adjoins another persons/family’s living quarters. I can hear my cocky through a few walls in my home and he lives outside in the back yard so there’s also the open space the noise has to travel through first to get to me and I have hearing loss lol.
I do personally know of one lady who actually housed her cocky inside her massive home which was situated smack in the middle of 2acres of fairly dense bush garden… she had to move or get rid of her bird as the neighbours and their neighbours were able to prove to the authorities that her bird made enough of an unreasonable racket to disturb their rights to peace- It’s really not a common thing here to be able to get the law on your side for noise complaints, lol the police here laugh off noise complaints even if they are at 2am and unreasonably loud so to get them and other officials to agree that a lone cocky was making enough noise to force someone to sell their home in a country area is pretty telling about how much racket these guys can make.

I personally think it would be very unfair to anyone living in the home that has shared walls. The baby is also not the best idea unless you like surprises.
Did I mention the HOA president owns the adjoining unit and the VP is nextdoor?!

Ok ok msg rcvd LOUD (as a Too’s scream) and clear.

I need to stay out of bird stores and order my feed online.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Did I mention the HOA president owns the adjoining unit and the VP is nextdoor?!

Ok ok msg rcvd LOUD (as a Too’s scream) and clear.

I need to stay out of bird stores and order my feed online.
Ohh I forgot to mention that I can hear my cocky indoors while he lives outside and the biggest funniest thing is that he is honestly the quietest cocky I have personally met lmao. I know he can scream louder if he tries but so far I have been lucky and he is reasonably quiet even when he is calling out.

I do not want to chase you off from your dream, I just really want for you to consider worst case scenario as that is when the poor birds suffer being rehomed and also the humans involved seem to go through an awful lot of unnecessary hurt and sadness too unfortunately.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
We had a cockatoo in Canada and she was about 6 years old when we got her. She was our (and I'm sure some neighbour's) alarm clock every morning at 6am. Even with her cover on, she knew it was morning and would scream until 1 of us got up to tend to her.
She was a sweet bird and would snuggle all day with hubby if he let her. The noise was in the morning and at night. It would last about 10 minutes then through the day she was content and happy to play with her toys.
It's nice to have a baby, but babies are needy and want all your attention. How would your Dove feel with another bird taking up your time, as you stated it is very attached to you and territorial.
Your dove could probably learn to adapt. Don't get me wrong. It's alot to think about.
Lots of people have more than 1 bird and they co-exist without any major issues.
Personally I don't think the citron are as loud as an umbrella cockatoo and they really do have such a sweet nature. ;)
I would keep checking your locals for one and visit it a few times to see its personality traits before you commit to it.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
We had a cockatoo in Canada and she was about 6 years old when we got her. She was our (and I'm sure some neighbour's) alarm clock every morning at 6am. Even with her cover on, she knew it was morning and would scream until 1 of us got up to tend to her.
She was a sweet bird and would snuggle all day with hubby if he let her. The noise was in the morning and at night. It would last about 10 minutes then through the day she was content and happy to play with her toys.
It's nice to have a baby, but babies are needy and want all your attention. How would your Dove feel with another bird taking up your time, as you stated it is very attached to you and territorial.
Your dove could probably learn to adapt. Don't get me wrong. It's alot to think about.
Lots of people have more than 1 bird and they co-exist without any major issues.
Personally I don't think the citron are as loud as an umbrella cockatoo and they really do have such a sweet nature. ;)
I would keep checking your locals for one and visit it a few times to see its personality traits before you commit to it.
Thanks for sharing the alarm clock story. It aptly reminded me of a parrot that I had as kid that did the same. Neighbors would not appreciate.

I’m concerned about my dove. He is attached to me as any 2 would be….has to be near or on me or will call, wants his regular cuddles…esp when I go to bed, waits by the cage door to be let out when he hears me come home.

I’ve never had or wanted more than one pet. As a mid-child myself that grew up w favoritism, I worry about the tendency to favor the 2 which would be obviously more beautiful, intelligent and interactive. An option would be to get the dove a rescue mate if multiples became a problem. Obviously, the solution to any bird problem is to get ANOTHER bird.

3 adult untamed (which I wouldn’t want) citrons in the area did become available online yesterday so maybe there is hope on a re-homed. I think its a long shot tho becuase they are much rarer than the other breeds available (lots of U2s) and the re-homes tend to have behavior problems.

I’m going to try to sit on this as long as possible. Emotionally, I want the baby NOW but intellectually I’m aware of the risks.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I just found someone w THREE quiet toos, including a mullocan, living in an apartment w no noise issues! Apparently, it’s possible with the right bird. There’s hope!

…at least a lil bit. Now to find an elusive whispertoo…

Last edited:

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I just found someone w THREE quiet toos, including a mullocan, living in an apartment w no noise issues! Apparently, it’s possible with the right bird. There’s hope!

…at least a lil bit. Now to find an elusive whispertoo…
Give me their info! Lovie (my Too) better watch out:whip:
:pinklol2:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Thanks for sharing the alarm clock story. It aptly reminded me of a parrot that I had as kid that did the same. Neighbors would not appreciate.

I’m concerned about my dove. He is attached to me as any 2 would be….has to be near or on me or will call, wants his regular cuddles…esp when I go to bed, waits by the cage door to be let out when he hears me come home.

I’ve never had or wanted more than one pet. As a mid-child myself that grew up w favoritism, I worry about the tendency to favor the 2 which would be obviously more beautiful, intelligent and interactive. An option would be to get the dove a rescue mate if multiples became a problem. Obviously, the solution

I’m going to try to sit on this as long as possible. Emotionally, I want the baby NOW but intellectually I’m aware of the risks.
[/QUOTE

You did well. Your patience lasted 6 hours lol[
You did well. Your patience lasted 6 hours lol