• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cinnamon sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
From Karen's post above:

The Cinnamon sticks you find in most Parrot food blends is Cassia. You don’t want to offer Cassia because it has a significant amount of the blood-thinning phytochemical Coumarin (Germany has banned its importation).

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have been using Cinn. powder in my birds food for YEARS!!!!!...I have never had a problem with my birds "bleeding out"....I buy the Cinn. in 1 # containers at the food stores...
Very seldom have I given them the sticks themselves.....
It is up to the individual to decide what they want to feed....you need to look at all the information....:hug8:

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
I offer cinnamon sticks occasionally. Last week I offered them to my 2 ekkies. They looked at them for a day, then used them as food toys for a few days, finally carried them around in their mouths and broke off a few small pieces. Then ended up dumping it in their water dish! They enjoyed it for almost a week before I trashed it, never did really eat it though!

daydreams356

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erica
They made his cage and breath smell so beautiful and fresh after he was done with his toy :heart: This will be reserved as a special treat, but boy did he love it! This was halfway through his demolishment. I wish I had a pretty before photo and a totally disintegrated photo but this will do :p He had already broken off several layers over this and was down to the nitty gritty. I had pulled most of the middle out to make room for the Lafeber Nutri-Forage.

tonyasb

Strolling the yard
Just thought I would let everyone know you CAN buy the good stuff (Ceylon) for not so very much if you get Fiesta products where you live. I went grocery shopping today and thought the local organic market would have them but nope. All they had the was Cassia. They lots and lots of it in a couple different places but none of the Ceylon. So when I went to Kroger later I thought I'd check but not really expecting to find it. In the Mexican spices (Fiesta label) they had them 2.99 for a 1 oz bag (which works out to 8 sticks in my bag). woohoo!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In the Mexican spices (Fiesta label) they had them 2.99 for a 1 oz bag (which works out to 8 sticks in my bag). woohoo!
Good find :dance2:

Status
Not open for further replies.