• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cinnamon sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Can someone tell me....are cinammon sticks (the kind sold at the market with apple cider) safe to give to parrots? I recall reading something about this before, and can't remember if it was a yes or no.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yes, I have read that they are fine. Lots of people give them. I bought some for my birds but they aren't interested in them:(

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Yes safe. I give once in a blue moon...This time of year they are easy to find. Not so much in the summer.

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
will have to try and see if my birdys like them

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I recently discovered that my parrots Hate cinammon. I know some parronts offer cinammon sticks as foot toys.:)

:lol: I just noticed Gertie with her scarf!! Very nice.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Hmm. I may have to go pick some up and see what everyone thinks.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
We have some for sale at our local Bulk Barn.. I'm going to get some next time I am there and see how Koba likes them. :D

Lotsa Birds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sandy
I buy the Higgins Celestial Mix for my birds, and it has lots of cinnamon sticks in it. Most of the birds throw them out, but Glory (TAG) uses them as foot toys. She chews them up and throws down chunks, I don't know if she actually eats any of it, but has fun with them. So now I just hold back the sticks when I fill bowls, and give them to Glory.
Sandy

CKJ

Real Name
Cindy
Can someone tell me....are cinammon sticks (the kind sold at the market with apple cider) safe to give to parrots? I recall reading something about this before, and can't remember if it was a yes or no.
Monica, I'm glad you asked that...I was wondering the same thing ~

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
My fids don't eat the cinnamon stick, but they love their birdy mash with cinnamon in it, so I do that instead. If I give them a cinnamon stick, they chew it into peices and then drop it, LOL!

daydreams356

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erica
Old post I know, but I was looking for something other then pasta shells to stuff Lafeber's Nutri-forage into and decided on a cinnamon stick. Took out some of the middle and stuffed it into there. That kept Pohi entertained and quite enthusiastic for a very long time. He did eat a bit of the stick but was more interested in the yummy inside of it.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did a little reading about this subject a while back.

The Cinnamon sticks you find in most Parrot food blends is Cassia. You don’t want to offer Cassia because it has a significant amount of the blood-thinning phytochemical Coumarin (Germany has banned its importation).

Once you taste and see the difference between the two you will never wonder if it’s Cassia or Real Ceylon Cinnamon again.

Cassia is a dark brown color and it‘s thick and hard. The tube is hollow. It has a harsh flat taste. It’s grown in China, Vietnam and Indonesia. It is also called Saigon Cinnamon. It contains 5% COUMARIN! Cassia is much cheaper than Real Ceylon Cinnamon.

Look for Organic Real Cinnamon (Ceylon) sticks. They are light brown in color and the layers are thin and soft. The tube is filled (like a cigar). The aroma is sweet and delicate. It is grown is Ceylon (Sri Lanka) It sometimes is referred to as Real or Sweet Cinnamon. Real Ceylon Cinnamon contains 0.004% Coumarin.

I buy these; Frontier Bulk Cinnamon Sticks Ceylon (Soft) 3"long, CERTIFIED ORGANIC, 1 lb. package - $25.94 by Frontier

My two love the Ceylon Cinnamon sticks. When they bite into it the sweet aroma just spreads through the house. It's soft so they can actually eat it. If I need it ground, to use as a sprinkle or in a recipe I break up a stick and put it in my coffee grinder.

tonyasb

Strolling the yard
Also posted on another Cinn. thread...you need to know the difference between Difference Between Cassia and Cinnamon:
Difference Between Cassia and Cinnamon: Types of Cinnamon - Ceylon Cinnamon, Saigon Cinnamon and Cassia
How to Identify Real Cinnamon from Cassia
Cinnamon - Is it Ceylon or Cassia? - Slashfood
Because we have members from all over the world here....:hug8:
I understand there's a slight taste difference but it does it really matter to the birds? Does anyone know if they prefer one over the other?

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Interesting I never knew this. I guess what I have always purchased was the fake stuff. I have never given it to the birds though just used it in warm apple cider

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Very interesting. Never would of known there was 2 different types. Thanks BF and Karen for the interesting info.

Cat

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy
Yes they should be safe. Cinnamon aids in digestion and is good for them to eat. My guys love cinnamon.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
So is it safe to use the cassia? It says that almost all cinnamon in powdered form in the US is the cassia not the ceylon.

Status
Not open for further replies.