• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cinnamon pearl cockatiel or just a normal pearl?

StormyTiel

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Benson
I have a normal 6 year old male cockatiel and a one and a half year old male cockatiel. He was sold to me as a pearly pied but if you look at the pictures he is not visually a pied. He has lost his pearls which is normal as a male but he is a lot lighter and browner and so I’m wondering if he’s a cinnamon. Thank you!

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m’ not really seeing cinnamon.Sorry.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Don't see any cinnamon.

One is pearl & if it lost the pearls its male.

Not sure of pied. A split to pied can have a white patch on the back of its head.

StormyTiel

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Benson
He doesn’t have a white patch even though my normal male does so could he still be split for pied and could my normal male be split for pied?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Very cute tiels. Am I seeing white spots on the back of the normal's head? If so, he might actually be a light pied.

StormyTiel

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Benson
Very cute tiels. Am I seeing white spots on the back of the normal's head? If so, he might actually be a light pied.
Thank you! Yes I agree there are distinct spots on the back of my normals head. There may be a tiny spot on the pearls too. First two pictures are the normal, Disco and the second two are my pearl, Storm.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you! Yes I agree there are distinct spots on the back of my normals head. There may be a tiny spot on the pearls too. First two pictures are the normal, Disco and the second two are my pearl, Storm.
I think your normal is actually a pied then
My tiel Scooter is similar.

@Monica

StormyTiel

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Benson
Also is there still a chance Storm (the pearl) is split for pied?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would hazard to guess that Disco is a normal split whiteface and possibly pied (and possibly another mutation)

Storm appears to be a standard pearl - hesitant to say he's cinnamon, but I do see that lighter coloring you speak of.

StormyTiel

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Benson
I would hazard to guess that Disco is a normal split whiteface and possibly pied (and possibly another mutation)

Storm appears to be a standard pearl - hesitant to say he's cinnamon, but I do see that lighter coloring you speak of.
That’s awesome! I agree, I’ve looked at pictures of cinnamons and he doesn’t look exactly like them but he does not look the same as Discos dark grey.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here’s an old and terrible pic of my cinnamon pearl baby that we had for 17 years. She wasn’t gray at all, she was kind of soft taupe.
1636048672153.jpeg

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
The pearl gene could lighten the gray (as sometimes the pearl still remains as a mottling) & there could be different grays but cinnamon is a distinct brownish/taupe tone.

Was the mother of this bird cinnamon? She would have to be cinnamon as its a sex linked recessive gene for any chance that a chick would be cinnamon. So if she was grey then the bird is grey.

Males can be split to cinnamon but will appear grey. Females with the cinnamon gene can only look cinnamon.

A split to cinnamon was far as I know can't be seen & only can be known if when paired with a cinnamon hen if some of the chicks are cinnamon & they may also have to be female...not sure but Monica is the one to go for genetics. @Monica

StormyTiel

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Benson
The pearl gene could lighten the gray (as sometimes the pearl still remains as a mottling) & there could be different grays but cinnamon is a distinct brownish/taupe tone.

Was the mother of this bird cinnamon? She would have to be cinnamon as its a sex linked recessive gene for any chance that a chick would be cinnamon. So if she was grey then the bird is grey.

Males can be split to cinnamon but will appear grey. Females with the cinnamon gene can only look cinnamon.

A split to cinnamon was far as I know can't be seen & only can be known if when paired with a cinnamon hen if some of the chicks are cinnamon & they may also have to be female...not sure but Monica is the one to go for genetics. @Monica
Sadly I don’t know what the parents looked like. Thank you!

StormyTiel

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie Benson
So how do you tell if a cockatiel is split for something? I know some colors you can’t tell without breeding but what colors can you tell and how so with those colors?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If a male is carrying the cinnamon gene, regardless of what he is paired with, he will throw cinnamon offspring. If the hen is not cinnamon, all offspring that show the mutation will automatically be females. Doesn't matter if male is visual or split cinnamon! Split cinnamon, 50% female offspring are visual. Visual cinnamon, 100% female offspring are visual.

If the female is cinnamon, then you could get males or females that are visuals. Any non-visual males will automatically be split cinnamon.

So how do you tell if a cockatiel is split for something? I know some colors you can’t tell without breeding but what colors can you tell and how so with those colors?
*MOST* mutations, you can't! Of the mutations, these are the possible split markings that I am aware of

Pied - "tick markings" on the back of the head - may sometimes have white toenails, flight feathers or tail feathers - usually no more than 1 or 2 total

Pearl - "ghost pearls" can be seen on the back - not to be confused with a pearl male that will also have mottling on the tail feathers (split pearls do not have this mottling)

Whiteface - white "halo" around the mask

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I don't think I'll ever get those sex linked genes straight as I have struggled wit it for years & don't seem to have any more understanding as the sex chromosomes are birds are opposite of humans & I'm afraid my aging mind is just tired & worn out. It takes me forever to make up my mind as it is bogged down with 101 details some of which may not even exist or at least be of a concern to 99 % of the population.
Stinks to be me sometimes. I'm so afraid to get something wrong or to miss something that I waste time on the most trivial. I'll look at screw & nut patterns on the bus. I drive myself crazy. I make things out of shadows & whispers. My imagination is a limitless flaw to my destruction

Last edited: