• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Churro's Month-long Molt

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcdevonn

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Devon
Churro has been noting for at least a month now and I am beginning to wonder if this is normal for a GCC. I am guessing this is her first molt--we bought her in August and she has not had this many pins. She is turning 1 in February. I feel like every time I scratch her there are new feathers.

I usually help her preen, but now when I do she makes tiny squeaks, and if I do it more she screams and bites me HARD. Those times I think I am pressing too close to her skin, but now that the molt is taking so long I am worried I have messed something up.

So, how long do your GCCs molt for? Do you help them preen/should you? Could my interfering have disturbed her molting pattern?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Everyone in my house is starting to molt again...but their last molt seemed to go for 2 months. Small molts usually are a couple of weeks, but the larger ones can last a month or so :D I think Churro is just fine!

abcdevonn

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Devon
I just get so nervous that I am doing something wrong/ruining her. :(

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Darwin's first molt took forever...at least a few months. I help get a lot of his pin feather when they are ready and if he lets me. Now Dexter helps with those too.

LuvMyAlex

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rhonda
A shower or spray with water can help soften the pin feathers. Don't worry, it all sounds quite normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.