• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chronic stuffy nose

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi all,

My Pionus seems to have a sinus problem. She sneezes throughout the day and sometimes has a snuffling, congested sound. She's been seen by two different avian vets - one was very reassuring, said her lungs sounded clear and it was likely just environmental irritation. The other, a year later, said that her lungs sounded clear but could run tests to be sure it wasn't a latent infection. Problem is that those tests are $$$ and we just don't have the funds right now if its not absolutely critical. Ladybird is otherwise is good health, and always has been - flies around, friendly, energetic, good appetite, normal droppings. No tail bobbing or wheezing/whistling. Her voice sounds normal and she makes her full range of happy noises. Misting does seem to alleviate the congestion/sneezing but only for a few hours.

Any of you guys have a bird with a chronic sinus problem? My fear is that it's some infection that's slowly wearing her down and she'll suddenly get sicker and it'll be too late - but it'd be tough to spend hundreds on tests that turn out normal. I'm not sure we can really afford it at all right now. Can a bird have a serious infection if her lungs sound clear and she's otherwise doing fine?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Do you have a good air filter running? I find that if mine goes off Burt sneezes an awful lot. I can’t see or feel the dust in the air but he sure can!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've never had personal experience of this but I have learned from these forums that spending a little time in a steamy bathroom can be a massive help. If this only happens at this time of year I'd recommend a humidifier in the room she spends most of her time in.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What disease testing did the vets do?
Does anyone smoke living in your home?
Are you burning candles or spray anything in the air?

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hey everyone, thanks for replies! To answer questions:

We do have an air filter running at max all the time next to her cage.

Vets did not do any disease testing other than to listen to her lungs/air sacs and examine her. They said she looked and sounded healthy but this can't rule out an occult disease.

We don't burn candles, smoke or spray aerosols near her/in the house. However, we live in a small place so she does get smoke from the kitchen at times, though we do our best to have her covered to stop some of the smoke getting into her cage and open windows nearby her.

Sneezing has been going on for about a year now, with no significant changes, not better or worse. Only thing I notice makes it worse is the heater being on or when she's molting, which she is right now.

I don't have a humidifier - I'm worried it'll make an infection worse? Any advice on how to buy bird safe humidifiers?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You may have hit on the reason. I keep a hygrometer going in the winter time to measure indoor humidity. There are days when it goes down below 10 percent. I have two high quality humidifiers that I run based upon the levels. Should be above 30 percent. Even the plants suffer from winter dryness. These humidifiers and easily cleaned and maintained. I clean them after every use. If they are clean it will not make an infection worse. I have been using them for 2 years now with no issues at all.
Your first step is to see what your humidity level are.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Pionus are prone to respiratory infections. I would be sure she's getting ample Vitamin A and you keep up good humidity, but please know that aspergillosis is a real possibility with this species.

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
She should have plenty of vitamin A since she eats Roudybush pellets. She stubborn about eating veg but she'll chow down on mangoes so I offer those fairly often. I will go ahead and get a humidifier - thanks for the info! That is concerning re: Pionus' and respiratory infections. I think I'll take her in to get tested once we have the funds to do so.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's good she eats the Roudybush at least :)

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a cockatiel with chronic sinus issues. After years of chronic infections/treatment/inflammation, he developed rhinoliths in both sinuses. Eventually his body expelled one of them -- literally it fell out in a big chunk and now he's much better. But when they were really bad, he was on daily nasal flushes and that helped some.