• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Christmas Advice, please!

Emily S.

Moving in
Hello fellow bird lovers,

My conure is very attached to me, and loves my husband (about half as much ).

She has a giant cage and loves being in there, but we have plans to go out of town from the 24th through to the evening of the 26th.

Should we leave her at home in her cage? Or should we take her to a friend's house in her small cage (she used to like my friend, but now she won't go to my friend anymore).

What's best for her?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Can someone come in and check on her and change her food and water if she stays at home? That would be the least stressful for her I think.

Emily S.

Moving in
Possibly, but her dishes are big enough for an African Grey, but she's a conure so she'd have plenty of food/water for the two nights. Still not good enough?

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
I would think so! Unless she has good experience with people it's best to leave her there, with maybe the tv on or music playing

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello, for a couple of days she will be fine at home. We have always left our babies for long weekends with lots of water and food. A radio on and maybe a light on if there is no outside light coming in from street light etc just in case. Less stressful than moving them somewhere new. Enjoy your mini holiday. :heart:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I guess it depends on your conure. I do not feel safe leaving Bella because she poops in her food dish and makes soup in her water dish. Also, when I first got her, I was admitted to the hospital for an emergency kidney stent and she was scared when I came back. She still has to run to the bathroom whenever I am in there to make sure that I am ok.

Emily S.

Moving in
Ya, Ruby follows me all around the house when I'm here too, but she doesn't do anything with her food/drink/bath other than for what it's intended.

My grandparents used to have an African Grey who they left alone on weekends. That's the only reason why I'm thinking it'll be ok. I just wanted to be sure because I've only had Ruby for about a year!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What if you leave your bird alone for a weekend and some kind of accident happens inside the cage? We try to make everything safe but there is no guarantee. A foot can get caught or other body part and if no one is checking on the bird, well you know what I am saying.

Emily S.

Moving in
Good point. Maybe I'll put one of our security cameras pointing to the cage and if something bad is happening, I can have my neighbour fix it. I'll keep that in mind.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've owned my Jasper for 19 years and she has never been alone for one single night and I would never dream of leaving her alone. If I am not home she boards at her vet's. If at all possible she goes with me.

Birds are not cats or dogs

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
if something bad is happening, I can have my neighbour fix it
If you trust your neighbours enough to leave them the keys in case of emergency, maybe you could ask if they wouldn´t mind just checking in on your bird and changing her water? :)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I think I might take any toys out that could be potentially harmful, and with plenty of food and clean water, I would think it would be okay. If I trusted my friend, and they promised not to let her out of the cage, I'd probably take her there, also if she has no other animals, or bad stuff that could affect birds, (candles, cleaning ovens, roaster bags, perfumes, cleaning chemicals, etc.)

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've owned my Jasper for 19 years and she has never been alone for one single night and I would never dream of leaving her alone. If I am not home she boards at her vet's. If at all possible she goes with me.

Birds are not cats or dogs

I’m with you. My bird counts on me for companionship, for meals, morning and night. I’m the keeper of the lights, the shades, the humidifier, the keeper of everything that keeps him comfortable and safe. I could never just leave him alone for days.

Too many what ifs for me; What if he got sick or hurt? What if something malfunctions in the house? My bird is on a camera at all times. If I’m not home, I get alerts, I’m close by.

I would ask anyone considering to leave their bird alone when they are going out of town, to please reconsider.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Since she’s been there before, knows your friend, and knows you come back to get her, I think this is the best choice if you can’t have someone come over to your house.

berries

Strolling the yard
Since she’s been there before, knows your friend, and knows you come back to get her, I think this is the best choice if you can’t have someone come over to your house.
I agree that’s the best option in the situation. I know never leaving the bird alone overnight may seem a bit paranoid(as non bird owning people have told me) but unlike a cat or a dog, if something happens a bird in it’s cage cannot escape a dangerous situation and find its way to safety.

Emily S.

Moving in
I know it's a little late, but I thought I'd let everyone know that we decided to have a friend come over and spend some time with her while we were gone. Ultimately Ruby doesn't like my friend (we've learned) while I'm not here as well, showing her dislike by flying back in to her cage, but at least she got out and had everything freshened up for her in my absence! When I did return, she didn't leave my shoulder or head for about six hours, but that's ok, I love her love :)