• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chiquitta's Necropsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I'm glad you were able to get the necropsy done, and quickly too to ease your mind :)

When you guys moved and you put her and Pru's cage close to each other, wasn't she having some breathing problems then? and we all just thought being that close to pru was freaking her out

Perhaps That wasn't it at all, and it was this enlarged liver issue.

and Sunflower seeds is the WORST culprit for liver issues and it's in almost all Seed mixes for Cocaktiels (and bigger birds) and most seed mixes have a over abundance of them and that is what the birds Choose to eat the most of out of the mix :(

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Liver disease is very common in cockatiels and budgies. Mostly because most people keep them on a unhealthy seed mix without fresh veggies. Since she was probably on a bad diet for many many years, she probably did have liver disease. I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug8:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I am so sorry. :( :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I am soo sorry Kim.. :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I'm sorry again for your loss but at least now you know what happened. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I cannot stress this enough, if you're going to do a necropsy, go all the way and do the histopathology as well. Lots of things that won't show up on a necropsy will show up in a histo, number one being PDD.

I also want to say that seeds are not a bad thing and is actually a big part of the grass parakeet's diet. You also want to feed lots of veggies, but there is nothing wrong with seed, all seed diets are another story of course.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Kim, l just saw this. I'm so sorry for all of you, especially that Chiquitta didn't have more time in your loving and excellent home.

tibanks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tina
:hug5:I'm very glad to hear you got some result's and hopefully a bit of closure in knowing the cause. Hugs to you and your family.

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Kim, I am glad that you've got some answers and, especially, that Pru's not in danger! :hug8:

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I am so sorry.... so very sorry. Fly free little girl.

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
:hug8::hug8: I'm so sorry about Chiquitta. She was a beautiful bird. You did take very good care of her. Sometimes genes give a predisposition to fatty liver disease as well. Tell Pru I'm sorry too.

Status
Not open for further replies.