• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chinchilla

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I do not, but I think they are super cute.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
They really are great pets too. I had one that was close to me and my lovebirds. Obviously only in the cage but he would stick his ears out and my birds would nibble on them. It was really sweet. I thought they would be afraid of each other because of prey mentality but they weren’t.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think they’re adorable, but heard they can overheat easily.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Yes they have specific care but fairly easy. Less emotional than birds but still need a ton of exercise and space to freely jump. Our was the bathroom. When they hold their treats and eat them with such content, it’s the cutest thing!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
If you guys see me with another animal in the future (thinking in one year) it will be a chinchilla. I’m not equipped to deal with chameleons which I sooo want again. I would want a room to control their humidity. But we can only work with what we got.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've never had a chinchilla, but I've been offered a lot of them over the years lol

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They are adorable! Although they are banned in Australia, so I will admire their fluffy ways from afar. :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
If you guys see me with another animal in the future (thinking in one year) it will be a chinchilla. I’m not equipped to deal with chameleons which I sooo want again. I would want a room to control their humidity. But we can only work with what we got.
I have a chameleon so had to look after keeping humidity right for them and live plants to grow and mine isnt friendly hiss and goes black so hard to clean and feed him without bleeding lol I’ve got two leopard geckos and a gargoyle gecko much easier and friendly two dogs

chinchillas are so cute I don’t know much about their care

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
They are beautiful little animals. I could never get past that dust bath flying everywhere so they were a big no for me. Loved my rabbits when I had them and raised them. The English Angoras were a lot of work brushing…. So was my standard poodle and my current yorkies. I don’t shave coats down because I like the traditional look. I had a female ferret years ago … her name was Ferret Fawcett ( for those of you old enough to know who the actress was). I think Guinea pigs are adorable and love the sounds they make. I did have three female hairless rats for a year. When I saw them crawling and peeing on each other I lost interest in holding them. :wtf:
But they were cool critters.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I have a chameleon so had to look after keeping humidity right for them and live plants to grow and mine isnt friendly hiss and goes black so hard to clean and feed him without bleeding lol I’ve got two leopard geckos and a gargoyle gecko much easier and friendly two dogs

chinchillas are so cute I don’t know much about their care
My enclosure had a tall mesh cage so it wasn’t that hard to clean but the worst was that I would find random crickets in that room, not many but some would always manage to get out. And I would release a bunch of crickets and most would get eaten, some would just live and hide until they eventually die. I hate crickets, ugh the smell. If I ever do it again, I would probably feed them the superworms and other things.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
What’s funny is that I’ve had so many different type of animals but never my own dog. Sure, a family dog, but not one of my own. Mostly because I don’t have the time for them. Cats do their own thing. Birds have to sleep 12 hours. Dogs are needy all the time. And I used to work double shifts everyday for 6 days a week. No longer my schedule. One day soon!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My enclosure had a tall mesh cage so it wasn’t that hard to clean but the worst was that I would find random crickets in that room, not many but some would always manage to get out. And I would release a bunch of crickets and most would get eaten, some would just live and hide until they eventually die. I hate crickets, ugh the smell. If I ever do it again, I would probably feed them the superworms and other things.
Mine was friendly enough, he would be agitated for the moment but turn right back to bright. He did hang out with us though

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
We had 2 chinnies. They do best in pairs, so please consider getting 2 if you decide to get any.
Tiered large cages suit their needs. They need an exercise wheel, preferably one that is solid rather than barred. They have specific needs for their diet. They need untreated pine to keep their incisors ground down. They don't have rib cages so they can be squeezed to death rather easily. They generally like to be held but not cuddled. At least our 2 were that way.
They have specific dietary needs, but nothing that's out of the ordinary.
The down side? They poop a LOT. The good news is that they are pretty odorless. They are very susceptible to heat stroke and death if exposed to ambient temperatures over 85.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Mine is tall mesh one too but it’s a nightmare I find to keep clean and I stopped feeding crickets Because I found them everywhere and ur right they smell so bad I feed loctcus morioworms dubia roaches red runners silkworms but they die fast and expensive so it’s a treat

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Chinchillas are insectivores? I thought they ate grass or hay!?