• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chi pup- 3 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
You may remember a few months back I asked about having a chihuahua in a home with a golden retriever. My mother in law had been contemplating breeding her female, Smudge, with a friends stud. Well, my father-in-law put his foot down on the breeding plans because MIL was planning on keeping at least one of the puppies after we made our pick. He insisted that they had plenty enough dogs already and there will be no more added. My MIL felt bad because we were supposed to get one of the pups, so she spoke with her friend who had the stud and she has a current litter. MIL bought us one as a suprise!

He is 3 weeks old now and is a blue merle. Merle is not recognized by the AKC but he will be UKC registered. His eyes aren't yet open, but his sisters are and they are BLUE! We're kind of hoping his eyes will be blue too! We've decided to name him Apache. Tara agreed with the name (above Pickles- thank God!) because we can call him Patch and he's got lots of patches. He is circled in red in the photo below. He won't be coming home until the end of March, at around 10 weeks of age.

Attachments

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:omg::omg: cute awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Awwww! Baby puppies! My weakness!
How ADORABLE. Congratulations on your new puppy, I can't wait to see pictures!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I need puppy breath!!!! Oh so cute! Can't wait to see him when he is stumbling around. Congrats!

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Aww. Congrats! How sweet. Can't wait to see more pictures.

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Very cute. I love my wee chi. They make great pets and body warmers in winter:)

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
The great part is that my mom just got a Westie pup this weekend. He is 11 weeks. So in March, he will get a new playmate. I am excited for that!!!

Oknuma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Oknuma
awwww i think my heart just melted.
I miss my lil chi boy so much. You are going to love him to bits!

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
awwww i think my heart just melted.
I miss my lil chi boy so much. You are going to love him to bits!
I think so! My mother in law has three. Two are purebreds and one is iffy-- was given to my girlfriend and the owners said it was a chihuahua, but it grew into an oddly leggy little beast. Very tall if it is a chi. Definitely not up to standards. They are great though. Smudge is my favorite, and was the best candidate for breeding. She is a 6 lb female blue merle. The pup we are getting is her nephew!

We've been doing some shopping for the little guy. I already have a small crate for sleeping and travelling. We got a tiny wee bed from the ferret section (it has no foam in it- so if he chews it, it will be safe) and a bunch of toys. I got this cute little rubber chicken and my Golden Retriever REALLY wants the chicken. It's too small for him, though. We also got a nice rainbow collar. It's gonna look riotous next to his crazy fur pattern! :dance5:

Those of you that have had chi's, do you have any suggestions for housetraining? I am not sure if he will ever be able to hold himself while I am away all day, even as an adult. Every other day I can get home for lunch, but not every day. Is it best to train him to go on puppy pads? If I do that, what would you suggest I do with him during the day? Get a larger wire crate and have a bed in half, and a pee pad in the other half? I honestly thought about taking him to school with me... but what if he started crying? Also I may have kids who are allergic to dogs, so even keeping him in the back room may not work.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Oh my GOSH congrats! Merles are my fave!

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Oh my GOSH congrats! Merles are my fave!
Thanks! We like them too! I've always loved merle in aussies and shelties, but living in a townhome means that those two dogs are probably not the best choice for us right now. This way we can have a merle without the super-high energy of a herding dog!

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Wow, I didn't know that chihuahua pups came in blue meral. . . Pretty. :)

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
How exciting!:dancing: I do miss fur and wet noses!

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Beautiful pups!

Most pups eyes are blue when first opened and change color.

There are many schools of thought on housebreaking. Go now and see your veterinarian and tell them you are close to getting your pup. Get all the information that they have on new pups, gentling and housebreaking. Read it now, don't wait til you get pup. If they do not have any info PM me and I will send you some.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:omg: how cute!! Merle is my fave too!! :heart:

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
I may have mentioned that my mom just got a new pup after losing her 14 year old Scotty back in the fall. Higgins is 12 weeks old today and he's a Westie!

Here are some pics. One just of him, one of him being loopy, and one of him when he met our big Golden, Riley.

Attachments

Last edited:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is adorable! I love their little dandelion faces.

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
Thanks! He came to visit us here at the house today. It was exciting for him because we have cats and loads of other critters. We discovered that he is VERY food aggressive. He actually took a milk bone from the 75 lb GOlden Retriever and then growled at us when we went to take it. My mom tried to take it out of his mouth and he bit her.

Any suggestions?? I told Mom to keep taking food away from him regularly... to make him sit for food (he already knows the word sit) and to work for things. I have never had a food aggressive dog before though.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe PM Braveheartdogs (Vicki) she is a dog trainer. One thing you can try is sitting by his food bowl and placing 1-2 pieces of food in. Wait till he eats and put 1-2 more in. Keep your hand in a fist till you get right to the bottom of the bowl. This will help him to accept your hand brings good things. I'm sure Vicki will have some great ideas though. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.