• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chewing toys for conures

Thongjy

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel
I am kind of confused on the type of materials to choose when buying toys for conure.

Does soft toys or hard toys cause crop impaction? Is it safe for conures to bite those soft spongy ear plugs? I referring to those that is completely soft that can squeeze to one small piece and after which it will expand back out.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hi there!
There are a lot of safe and unsafe materials, so i'll do my best to help out.
Any item can really cause crop impaction, but way more of a risk if its unnatural (fabrics, plastic, and so on)
The sponge ear plugs are not safe, choking risk as could eat and swell in mouth.

For unsafe materials in toys, look out for:
Cotton, Fabrics, Paint, Some metals, small plastic parts that could be choked on, most bells which can snag a tongue, mirrors, heavy metals, etc.

Safe!:
Natural woods, cork, cork bark, jute, sisal, coconut, cardboard, vegetable dyed toys, stainless steel, and lots more.

Avian Avenue has some great vendors on here which sell quality toys: List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles

If you're unsure about a specific toy or material, just ask :)

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am kind of confused on the type of materials to choose when buying toys for conure.

Does soft toys or hard toys cause crop impaction? Is it safe for conures to bite those soft spongy ear plugs? I referring to those that is completely soft that can squeeze to one small piece and after which it will expand back out.
softer toys try cork,sola,mahogany pods and balsa harder toys try pine Welcome to Seriously Nutz - Bird Toys For Serious Chewers! and Lil Monsters Bird Toys are my favourite two vendors great toys that one of my counures loves to destroy and the other gets involved occasionally.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Soft fibers tend to be the ones that cause impaction, and that's because as they are chewing, little bits get in their crop and over time that build up as they aren't broken down quickly.

I tend to stick with natural materials for chewing, like woods, plant parts, paper, etc. My conure loved craft sticks, super thin pine, Balsa, cork, mahogany pods, etc.

I would not personally let my bird chew on the ear plugs.