• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Change in personality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Araneth

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
I was wondering if any of you could help me.
I've had my quaker Squeakles since he was a baby and he's nearly 3 yrs old now and recently his personallity has totally changed. He's started screaming/loudly squalking all the time and isn't talking as much as he used to (he had quite a vocabulary). His diet hasn't changed and he gets plenty of fruit and veg with his diet. He gets let out most of the time I'm home and is only in his cage when I'm out, first thing in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening when I'm eating.
He used to always be on my shoulder or around me but it seems he wants very little to do with me and he even bit me the other day...and he has never bitten me!
I just don't know what's wrong with him. (BTW, this is my first parrot aside cockatiels)
I was told that birds don't like change so he could be reacting to my change of hours at work (I used to work mornings and now work in the late afternoon/evening) so I can understand that.
What can I do to calm him down? He's been like this since early December.

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Could it possibly be hormones? I hear during that time they can completely change and even become aggressive. I havent experienced it yet..my youngest quaker is less then 2. They supposably go back to normal when its all over tho (certain times a year?) hopefully someone can give you more info!!

Araneth

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
That was another thing I was thinking...but I've had his hormones raging before (he tries to mate with my ear :/)
I've been thinking for a while to get him a little girl but it's finding one in my area and being certain it's female before I buy it.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I also think it might be hormones

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I would not give him a female unless you plan to breed.
And breeding is alot more responsibility than people realize.
Lots of time and hard work into raising babies.
And if you take the eggs out because you don't want to breed,
most of the time you need to replace them with fake eggs, both of your quakers will be protecting the eggs at this time, and can be aggressive. So really it could do more harm than good. Especially because your birds mate will be more important than you at this point.

I would just wait it out. Alot of older birds have hormone problems at certain times of the year. You just wait it out. Quakers really are known for being aggressive during hormonal stages and your quaker is at the right age.

They are also known to get very territorial when hormonal. quakers are big nest builders.
Does he act the same way when away from his cage? Are you sure he is male (has he been DNA sexed?)

Araneth

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
I've got the experience in breeding. I used to breed Canaries, Cockatiels and, I know they arent birds, but I breed snakes too.
And yeah he's definatly male. I took him to an avian vet that confirmed it...but I can't remember what method was used.

For about 3 days he wouldnt have anything to do with me when I let him out but he's back sitting on my shoulder again though he's still screaming/shouting when he flies and when he's in his cage.

I'll take the advice on board though and have a serious think about if I want to breed him or not. Thanks :)

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
It is probably a combination of things, maturing (what some call the terrible 2's), hormones due to maturing and the change in your schedule. I would not get a mate for him, unless you want to lose him as a companion. He would most likely bond to the female and sever his bond with you. Be patient, read his body language, respect his wishes and this will pass.

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
Breeding can just make him less loveable. There is an excellent chance he will bond to his mate and you will be history. There also is a chance you will get him a mate and they will not get along and be rivals for your affection. Then you get bit for being a bad "mate" and looking at other birds. There is so much to consider... All my quakers (3) have been out of sorts. Its been a bad winter for them as far as behaviors and hormones. My Jade attacked me twice and this never happened before. Just go with the flow.....

Status
Not open for further replies.