• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cere Skin Coming Off?

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
683DF21B-82DD-45FB-A701-A857E57F9170.jpeg
B075FAB6-0252-4C21-A0D7-10B47FC6A9BB.jpeg
So, my cockatiel Murphy’s cere is looking a little funky. I’d like some input as to what exactly could be happening- I posted a while ago about his cere being odd (having skin peeling off) but it was a much smaller would than this. he’s always had a bit of a dry cere so maybe coconut oil would benefit him?

Surely this isn’t normal, what are your thoughts? I’m not exactly sure how he did this, maybe by scratching his nose?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is he flighted? Did he recently fly into something? It looks like it’s from an injury. How long has it been like this?

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Is he flighted? Did he recently fly into something? It looks like it’s from an injury. How long has it been like this?
I noticed it about 30 - 35 minutes ago. He is flighted, but I'm not sure if he flew into anything. He might have while I ducked out of the room really quick, but he doesn't fly all that much (unless he gets spooked or is flying to me)

He's acting fine, singing, preening, eating and all! I did do some research and read that their skin can get pretty dry, especially in winter (which it is in Aus!)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Offer a shower? I actually make a habit of misting all rooms with a water spray bottle in winter because we have the heater on. It does make a difference as far as Burt's sneezing and dry skin goes

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
To me it just looks like either some dry skin flaking or like he had a little scab there that's coming off now.