• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celltei shoulder carrier or regular?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hiya Everyone! I've missed you all very much!!!! I will post some updates & pictures of Buddy soon.

Need some input from all of you.... Currently Buddy has an acrylic carrier which if he didn't insist on sleeping in it, I'd have spent a ton of money on a pile of rubble. It's difficult & awkward for me to move it... belt it ect...

I don't want to get into specifics but my Doctor just wrote a letter to take Buddy to appointments & other places in public. There are a bunch of do's & do not's but more importantly is I want him to be on my person. Does anyone have the new or old style of this carrier? He's a Zon & I want him to have plenty of comfort space. I like this newer style of carrier, that Celltei just made... It seems to have more comfort features. I am a small female & I am not sure that the front or back carriers will work out do to my personal physical disabilities.

Any input on any of these carriers would be grand. Keep in mind that he will be in a car or truck in transport. I am not sure then best move & would love some input on your bird experiences. I have about 2 weeks to take care of this so I am sort of in a hurry.

Thanks in advance!

sorry about the miss-spelling on the title

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have the Celltei back pack carrier. I think it's probably a matter of personal preference. I like the one that you posted because the bird would see over your shoulder and see "forward" where as with the back pack he sees more of what's going on behind. What I like about the back is I can set it down flat. Not sure if the shoulder one works that way? And also it has seat belt straps in the back that I can thread the seat belt through. So I feel it's secure when traveling in the car. Also, mine has 2 food/water dishes in it. Not sure if that one does.

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
Oh I checked these out and am also thinking of getting one... curious to hear what others had to say... I wonder if the bird would get the full benefits of the sunlight through the screen mesh too??

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Essie is our little Rosefrons Conure (weighing in at a whopping 60 grams, she's somewhere between a buggie and a large cockatiel), and after much research, hand wringing, debate and consulting, we purchased a small pack-o-bird with a few minor peraonalizations to suit Essie (mostly added a few grommet holes on the back to support a platform inside). Couldn't be more pleased with it.

We looked at the sholder carrier, and it struck me less as a cage/carrier, and more like a birdy space-suit. I imagine the larger the bird, the more true this is.

Without details of your disibility (and really, I'm not pressing you to share) it's hard to know your limits, but I imagine the straps on the sholder carrier would make it far more difficult to put on alone with the bird inside than the backpack, and nearly impossible to take off alone without first releasing the bird. On a trip out-and-about, that can put you in a nearly impossible situation. It took some practice and adjustment, but I can now put the PoB on/off my back alone, without tilting the cage inside uncomfortably for Essie. Without a table to support it, however, it requires raising an arm over my head while holding the pack behind me -- a disibility limiting range of motion would make this difficult.

I will say, the carrier has opened up a lot more interaction and play time with Essie, being able to take her out with us shopping, hiking, walking, and exploring. She spends much of the time on her platform looking out, but i often hear her playing with toys as I walk. She's small enough she would fit in a extra-small pack, but going up a size dramatically increases the time she can tollerate (and enjoy) her time inside. She's still eager to get out and strech her wings when we get back into the car, but as long as the scenery is changing, she can be in there for 3-4 hrs before we start hearing her getting grumpy. Naturally, YMMV.

As for "sunlight inside", in open daylight, it will always be darker inside than out, but other than simply blocking a percentage of incoming light, the mesh will not "filter" the light like glass does (particularly tinted glass). The spacing on the mesh will filter wavelengths on the order of the hole widths, but the light we see has such a short wavelength that effect is negligable (and UV is even shorter still). Keep in mind, the mesh also reduces breeze (air gets in fine but wind is dramatically cut), so a dark colored pack in the sun on a warm sunny day might start to get uncomfortable inside.

That being said, inside the cage will always be darker than outside, which might cause some reluctance to go in -- Essie wanted nothing to do with "inside" until we installed a cheap head lamp on the top to brighten up the space. I've since wired in an LED strip on the top with a usb cable routed under the formers and out a bottom corner. Plugs into a tiny phone recharging pack and can run for days before recharging (ask me how I know :facepalm:). Even with the light inside, however, the glare off the screens can make everything inside nearly impossible to see -- the view from inside is just fine, though.

LovieLouie

Essie is our little Rosefrons Conure (weighing in at a whopping 60 grams, she's somewhere between a buggie and a large cockatiel), and after much research, hand wringing, debate and consulting, we purchased a small pack-o-bird with a few minor peraonalizations to suit Essie (mostly added a few grommet holes on the back to support a platform inside). Couldn't be more pleased with it.

We looked at the sholder carrier, and it struck me less as a cage/carrier, and more like a birdy space-suit. I imagine the larger the bird, the more true this is.

Without details of your disibility (and really, I'm not pressing you to share) it's hard to know your limits, but I imagine the straps on the sholder carrier would make it far more difficult to put on alone with the bird inside than the backpack, and nearly impossible to take off alone without first releasing the bird. On a trip out-and-about, that can put you in a nearly impossible situation. It took some practice and adjustment, but I can now put the PoB on/off my back alone, without tilting the cage inside uncomfortably for Essie. Without a table to support it, however, it requires raising an arm over my head while holding the pack behind me -- a disibility limiting range of motion would make this difficult.

I will say, the carrier has opened up a lot more interaction and play time with Essie, being able to take her out with us shopping, hiking, walking, and exploring. She spends much of the time on her platform looking out, but i often hear her playing with toys as I walk. She's small enough she would fit in a extra-small pack, but going up a size dramatically increases the time she can tollerate (and enjoy) her time inside. She's still eager to get out and strech her wings when we get back into the car, but as long as the scenery is changing, she can be in there for 3-4 hrs before we start hearing her getting grumpy. Naturally, YMMV.

As for "sunlight inside", in open daylight, it will always be darker inside than out, but other than simply blocking a percentage of incoming light, the mesh will not "filter" the light like glass does (particularly tinted glass). The spacing on the mesh will filter wavelengths on the order of the hole widths, but the light we see has such a short wavelength that effect is negligable (and UV is even shorter still). Keep in mind, the mesh also reduces breeze (air gets in fine but wind is dramatically cut), so a dark colored pack in the sun on a warm sunny day might start to get uncomfortable inside.

That being said, inside the cage will always be darker than outside, which might cause some reluctance to go in -- Essie wanted nothing to do with "inside" until we installed a cheap head lamp on the top to brighten up the space. I've since wired in an LED strip on the top with a usb cable routed under the formers and out a bottom corner. Plugs into a tiny phone recharging pack and can run for days before recharging (ask me how I know :facepalm:). Even with the light inside, however, the glare off the screens can make everything inside nearly impossible to see -- the view from inside is just fine, though.
thanks for your detailed review!! I think I’m leaning toward the POB too It’s just so expensive and if he hates it that’s a lot of money wasted!!:arghh: Lol but I don’t want to get the GOGO and wish I got the POB either... decisions decisions..
You can wear the POB on the front too if you wanted right??
what do you all use for the water... if it’s in the bowl Id assume it might spill out while walking??

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
thanks for your detailed review!! I think I’m leaning toward the POB too It’s just so expensive and if he hates it that’s a lot of money wasted!!:arghh: Lol but I don’t want to get the GOGO and wish I got the POB either... decisions decisions..
what do you all use for the water... if it’s in the bowl Id assume it might spill out while walking??
My Pak-o-bird has a hole for a water bottle and a spring for holding a water bottle. I can’t recall if the water bottle came with the carrier or if I just bought it at the same time.
If mine was a smaller one then it could be carried on your front easily.

LovieLouie

My Pak-o-bird has a hole for a water bottle and a spring for holding a water bottle. I can’t recall if the water bottle came with the carrier or if I just bought it at the same time.
If mine was a smaller one then it could be carried on your front easily.
Thanks!! :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love & miss y'all so much!

There is a range of motion disability not just with one shoulder but also both my hands, wrists & arms. There are days where it hurts to ((exaggerating a bit)- to breathe) let alone move move my arms ect...

So it sounds like IT'LL be the bigger version. Once Buddy gets into a (what he considers safe) he's fine. I think now even tho its more of a haul... The bigger one is better. Plus the safety of the seat belt situation thrills me I'D NEVER want him to get hurt.

@sunnysmom
Is it hard to clean? & Would you mind sending some pics of your modified version. Buddy is really funny about his wings & butt feathers even being brushed by something. The wing thing is painful on days when he alternates off the metcam due to arthritis & atrophy/rehabbed old pain... We're still working on that stuff... He makes progress then slides backwards. He was super strong then we did a bunch of painting & plastering, I sent him upstairs so he would not get sick from the dust. It seems like he declined... But it was absolutely necessary.

I wish these things were more reasonably priced. I'd pay the extra for modifications... Did you find their customer service easy to deal with?
~~~~~~
My BF is going to think I'm super crazy... He thought the idea if this therapy... Companion animal deal was crazy. I hope in time I can make him understand more.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I love & miss y'all so much!

There is a range of motion disability not just with one shoulder but also both my hands, wrists & arms. There are days where it hurts to ((exaggerating a bit)- to breathe) let alone move move my arms ect...

So it sounds like IT'LL be the bigger version. Once Buddy gets into a (what he considers safe) he's fine. I think now even tho its more of a haul... The bigger one is better. Plus the safety of the seat belt situation thrills me I'D NEVER want him to get hurt.

@sunnysmom
Is it hard to clean? & Would you mind sending some pics of your modified version. Buddy is really funny about his wings & butt feathers even being brushed by something. The wing thing is painful on days when he alternates off the metcam due to arthritis & atrophy/rehabbed old pain... We're still working on that stuff... He makes progress then slides backwards. He was super strong then we did a bunch of painting & plastering, I sent him upstairs so he would not get sick from the dust. It seems like he declined... But it was absolutely necessary.

I wish these things were more reasonably priced. I'd pay the extra for modifications... Did you find their customer service easy to deal with?
~~~~~~
My BF is going to think I'm super crazy... He thought the idea if this therapy... Companion animal deal was crazy. I hope in time I can make him understand more.
I will take some pictures and post. It's not hard to clean at all. I put newspapers on the bottom just like I do with a cage. The bottom is the only thing that ever gets dirty. I didn't deal with customer service and didn't modify. I just ordered from a website but I have heard that the compnay is easy to deal with.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I won my backpack when I first got the Amazons. Hubby and family were upset that I didn't sell it and keep the money. Family doesn't get the bird thing at all.

MC loved going out in it. Secret likes to but I'm having issues with her biting on part of it. Probably because she knows it annoys hubby when we're on walks.

Mine has flaps I put down and it helps to calm Secret.

Mine also has a plastic piece that lies on the bottom that is easy to clean.

I think there was a stroller bottom that was used for a travel cage or this backpack. The lady had an Amazon that passed away shortly after I joined the Avenue. Let me think on this one.......

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Found it! Marian told me:
The stroller part, I bought from a thrift store for $4.99. Look for the Chicco brand.

She mentioned Pak o bird.

I may need to keep my eyes peeled too!

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Yes, but the "small" size is probably the limit for that. It's starting to get bulky and tall after that and hugging a cage might get old quick, even if the weight isn't on your arms. You would get a good view through the back window, though . . .but little else.

Yup, Shez speaks the truth. They do come with a cup and bottle, and the bottle is pretty good. Uses a stem valve instead of a ball, so it won't leak with the shift from every step. It isn't a sealed container, though, so tip the bottle too much and it'll slosh out the top. Usually not a problem, but I have gotten splashed walking down some stairs too quickly.

Fair enough. Then sholdering it from a table is probably the best plan when on your own. When they're hurting, keeping the contortions to a minimum is good.

Something else to consider -- if your sholders have trouble carrying the weight, they do have the option of installing a backpacking belt, which will transfer the bulk of the load to your waist. It does add cost and bulk, but is an option.

Hate to say, these are the reasonable prices. There are no corners cut (AFAIK) in material or workmanship, and it shows.

I'll also say they're fully aware of the price too. In my dealings with them through the ordering process, there was a LOT of back and forth making sure they understood what I was asking for, and making sure *I* understood what I was asking for. No surprises when I got the final product, and their advice went a long way toward making sure what I got matched both my need and expectation.

Haven't needed any support after the sale, but the support during the sale was top notched, and got the vibe that repair was treated with the same respect.

My hand wringing aside, part of the reason why they're worth it is because they make every effort to make it meet your need.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I may be misunderstanding the requirement, but have you considered using a harness?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Craftydan my back pack came with the waist band. Maybe the larger ones have them as a standard inclusion?

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
@Craftydan my back pack came with the waist band. Maybe the larger ones have them as a standard inclusion?
Could be. I know the construction increases in complexity as size goes up (a smaller pack simply doesn't need as much reenforcement), so including a usibility feature like that wouldn't be surprising.

The waist strap included with yours: was it a built up belt or simply a strap of webbing with a buckle? The description of the add-on belt seemed more like what you'd find on a good hikers pack. I'm now wondering if it's more an upgrade to the waist strap rather than an add-on option.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Could be. I know the construction increases in complexity as size goes up (a smaller pack simply doesn't need as much reenforcement), so including a usibility feature like that wouldn't be surprising.

The waist strap included with yours: was it a built up belt or simply a strap of webbing with a buckle? The description of the add-on belt seemed more like what you'd find on a good hikers pack. I'm now wondering if it's more an upgrade to the waist strap rather than an add-on option.
It is like the sort added on all good hiking packs (not as padded but still padded) image.jpg
Also has a chest strap- both belt and chest straps are adjustable. 6C24BF7D-363F-475F-881C-2B96769D40A3.jpeg C703FBED-0809-488D-B64D-53A93D299D2C.jpeg

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Luckily for me, There isn't a Macaw to stuff in it? :laughin:

Buddy just happens to be an amazon. For stuff like this I almost wish he was a keet or a conure/love bird size