• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month - September 2021 Oggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:starshower1:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy for the month of September 2021

@Elysian 's Oggie​

1. How did you acquire your bird?
From rescue. I waited well over a year for an appointment due to covid, so I was a little impulsive when I finally got a chance to adopt: not only did I bring home a species I never really planned to get, I brought home two. I definitely cannot recommend that as a strategy, but I really lucked out and it was the best judgement error I ever made.

2. What is your bird's name, species, age and sex?
Oggie is a male (not DNA'd as far as I know), Senegal parrot - around 27 years old.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
We are still working on target training, so no real tricks yet! He does 'dance' when I sing to him, and he has a circular swing that he likes to turn into a serious hurricane thrill ride while I chant "Swing, Oggie, swing!"

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
Oggie eats basically anything. He has a mixture of Zupreem Naturals and Zupreem Fruit Flavor pellets (until the fruit flavor run out). He'll eat most any fresh foods that he can hold in his foot, except peppers. I've tried a few times to give him peppers and he just throws them away.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Probably when he landed on the floor and went to shuffle back to his cage, then suddenly realized I was close enough to climb my jeans. You could see the moment it hit him, and he got so excited. He turned around and said "Hiii!!" and started running at me.
Since he still tends to bite, it was like a hilariously cute horror movie moment.

It has now become a running gag in our house to make creepy-wide eyes at someone and say "Hiiiii" in an Oggie voice.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
He brings so much life and personality to everything. You can't have a conversation in the living room without Oggie muttering and chuckling in response.
He also reminds me to keep myself calm. I have always had a tendency to be a loud talker, but if Oggie thinks I am worked up he will get worked up too. He will start to lift his wings and do his rather piercing flock call, which cues me in to take a breath and lower my volume.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
In my initial research, I had ruled out most Poicephalus species (Senegal is a sub species) because the generalizations about them were so conflicting. Everything from "superb pet quality, very good natured" to "shy, phobic, aggressive". If Oggie is a good example, I've found that somehow both things are true. He is a wonderful pet because he is loving (in his way), not *too* loud, super funny, and ultimately tolerates schedule changes and a little chaos really well. On the other hand he does take a little bit to warm up to people, does not accept new objects easily, is *very* messy, and is painfully aggressive when scared or annoyed.
I think anyone considering a Senegal would do well to lean toward them being an only bird, or be prepared to give them plenty of separate attention from other pets.
And have a lot of tolerance for pain.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Oggie wakes everyone up in the morning. It used to be 5 am. We moved him away from the windows and sometimes he'll stay quiet till 6 or 7 now, but once he wakes up he starts calling! It is a sharp call. It doesn't bother me most of the time because it doesn't last terribly long, but it can get a little ear-ringing.
Thankfully I have his cage in a place where he can see my work desk all day, and also see the whole family when we are sitting around the living area. I am certain he would be louder without this set up, because I can hear him calling for me if I go out of sight for more than 10 minutes "unscheduled".
He is fine with me going to bed, but mid day showers or naps are not okay!

He is definitely the loudest of my four. And calls the most often. But he is not really "noisy" when he isn't calling out about something. He's not a terribly busy guy either, so not a lot of fluttering or climbing around. He is pretty happy just napping, eating, chewing toys or perches, taking shifts gazing at me, and trying to launch himself into orbit with his swing.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
He communicates like a pokemon - he says his own name *alot* but in a variety of tones that seem to have so much meaning. I feel like I can tell the difference between 'will you hold me?', 'will you scritch me?', 'can I have that food?', and 'good morning!' just based on the differences in inflection when he says "Og-gee?" or "Og-ee!"

He also chews his molted feathers in such a weirdly studious way. I think he might be learning how to craft a weapon.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
His first time going crazy with the swing. It looked like he was trying to jump off, I thought for sure he was terrified. Then he called out "Wheeeee!", and I realized he was leaning to make it go faster.
I keep trying to get video of this circus act but he always stops to ask for scritches when I come close enough to capture it.

Also the awed way he says "Ooooh" when he sees a new food, or when his cage is cleaned and re-arranged. He has said longer sentences, but the simple words continually amaze me because they have such undeniable context.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
All the treats.
Any seeds, nuts, dried fruit, oatmeal - and anything he sees me eating.

20210829_183610.jpg 20210806_115718.jpg 20210805_095645.jpg 20210617_154757.jpg

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Way to go Oggie!!!

Sounds like a typical Poi. i can just imagine the dinosaur hurdling toward you & scaling up your leg! They are great acrobats & love to swing themselves & wrestle. Just watch out for the jaws!!!

:birdance: :bounce6::bounce6:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yay :swoon:
:congrats5:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations Oggie.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
That was a awesome read. You gave him such life and fun with your words and sounds like what I've been through with my different feathered friends over the years.
I knew I was on the right path with grumpy Lurch when he fell on the carpet one day. He looked at me and started running towards me to get rescued even though he could fly at that point. :xflove:

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Oh, I had such a wonderful time reading this! I would pick out some of my favorite quotes but it's "all of it." I loved all of it. What a character! I'm so glad that Oggie landed with @Elysian 's family so that we get to come along for all of the fun (with none of the biting :cool:)

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Congrats oggie, thank you for coming into Elysians life! And thank you Elysians for bringing oggie into your life, you guys deserve eachother

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Just cracked me up, laughing until tears......

But I also enjoyed the way she threw this one line in: And have a lot of tolerance for pain

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Congratulations! Well-deserved! Way to go, Oggie!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
Yay Oggie, and what a great interview!:starshower1:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I don't spend any time in the Poi forum so this interview was a great way to catch up.
Well done Oggie, what a character.

:congrats3:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congrats5: Oggie

Looking forward to seeing the video of him on the swing some day.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hurray Oggie and @Elysian!!! Such a great read about your adorable feathered little terror!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! He's such a cutie!

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Congratulations! :starshower1: loved reading the interview, Oggie sound likes such an amazing character :heart:

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Congratulations! He's so cute.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratulations!!! :yah: I really enjoyed reading more about Oggie!!! :loveshower:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
:starshower1: Congratulations!:starshower1:
Oggie is such a special boy, I really enjoyed reading more about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.