• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month - October 2021 Pippin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:starshower1:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy for the month of October 2021

@Dartman 's Pippin​

1. How did you acquire your bird?
I had a ad up every week for Lurch who escaped over 5 years ago now and a fellow saw the ad and called me saying he had Lurch sitting on his shoulder right now. He said she had flew into the open door at the warehouse he was working at and landed on his shoulder :eek: It was about 9pm on a Sunday night and she had been cuddling tight into his neck since 7pm that evening. He figured she was green like Lurch so he called me. I asked what she looked like because Lurch has been gone 5 years and he said she was small with a orange breast and a band on one leg. I told him that's definitely not Lurch and he said he had two cats and a big dog so he didn't think he could safely keep her so I said we'd be right out as soon as we could get there.
I got there to see him holding his hand over his right shoulder to the tiniest most colorful bird I'd ever seen. I grabbed her and she growled but didn't try to bite and plopped her into the plastic bird carrier we brought. she saw Dobbys tropical fruit Zupreem pellets in a bowl and buried her face in it while we talked, she was like you guys talk, HUNGRY!
I took her to the car and we loaded up and it was safe so I let her out seeing how she wasn't aggressive and she climbed onto my neck and cuddled and got scritches, plus had some huge drinks of water.

2. What is your bird's name, species, age and sex?
She is a Yellow sided Green cheek Conure. We took her to the vet and she got a clean bill of health and the lady doc said she was a sweet heart and loved apple slices and triscuit crackers, and she guessed she was a female. I have no clue her age but pretty sure she is young. They cut the exam short because she was stressing out and overheating but they got what they needed . She weighed 65grams and was healthy.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
She loves to bounce her head up and down on the bars trying to bite and nibble my fingers. I have to be careful because if she does get a grip she'll latch on but were working it out.
She hangs upside down, she loves her toys and cuddles under the set of spiral bells we Got from Jans shop and some of the other toys too. She does a great bat bird:hilarious:

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
Apples, triscuits, Celery, she goes absolutely nuts for bananas and of course Conure Zupreem pellets, except for the yellow ones. Any junk food if she can get it.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
After two days of being the sweetest little love sponge she got feeling better and decided I needed to be punished for disrupting her walk about and grabbed my finger and bit it HARD, when I tried to stop her she ran down my arm biting every bit of skin she could get. I ended up rolling around on the carpet trying to get her tiny self loose without squishing her and eventually got her safely back into the cage. The beware of tiny raptors sign I was sent certainly applies and I adjusted my interactions with her accordingly:scared5:

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
She taught us we can handle one more bird in the house and Hopefully her and Dobby can be friends eventually. He likes her but not sure how she'll treat him knowing her tendencies to be said tiny raptor.
It's fun to have another take on a parrot and watching her slowly realize she's safe and she actually seems fond of us:xflove:

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
Make sure your ready for a very hyperactive and nippy creature that things they are HUGE. They are tiny compared to what I'm used too so they are more fragile and tend to be a bit scared and shaky till they get used to their new flock. They can bite badly for their size when they mean it but can also be loving little cuddle bugs once you work out a understanding with each other.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?

Most of the time she makes little noises that aren't too bad and clicks and mumbles to herself, but her alarm call can be surprisingly loud for her size and you'll be let know when they are upset about something.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
The head bobbing while trying to get my finger. Sometimes she gets so excited she practically vibrates. She loves to sit on a platform and let her bells and toys rub her head while she snoozes.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
I say pretty bird to her gently and quietly and she TRIES to say it back. Sister thinks she tries to say Hi pretty and she has said hi very quietly before. She really likes it when we talk to her and blow on her.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
BANANA:bliss:

Lamp, cool shading.jpg On floor.jpg On top of cage.jpg Pippen with sister and banana.jpg Eating on shoulder.jpg First night tired.jpg

Last edited:

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congrats5:

Really enjoyed getting to know more about Pippin great write up.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pippin has certainly been an adventure for you and your sister! Lol! I’m so happy she landed with you :cheer:

Congratulations, @Dartman and Pippin!

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Congratulations! Pippin is adorable and very lucky to have found you.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Thanks everyone. We let her out day before yesterday for a long time. She kept picking high spots or sitting on top of her cage, then zipping somewhere else and sitting or snoozing, the lamp, the kitchen cabinets etc. She wanted attention but was afraid to fly down and a bit nippy if we offered a hand. Finally she got brave and flew over and landed on the speaker beside the couch and worked her way to my sister and hung out behind her neck and got some treats and played and drank from her water bottle.
Eventually it was time to go in and she didn't want to do it so I offered a little perch and eventually after biting it and grabbing it she ended up on it. First thing she did was run down and start chomping my hand and fingers for daring to put her on said stick. I was trying to stay away from the beak and she was hanging off the stick trying to get me so I walked her over to the cage and stuck her inside till she got shook to her favorite spot, little bugger seems to have issues with hands when it's not her idea.

Attachments

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Loved the interview!

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
:starshower1:Congratulations @Dartman !:starshower1:
I really enjoyed getting to know Pippin a bit better, she sure is lucky to have you!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What type of bird is Dobby ?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
What type of bird is Dobby ?
Dobby is a Maxi Pionus. The most outgoing, confident, chewingest Maxi I have ever had. There should be threads and pictures of him scattered all over Pionus point and other places here. He used to be Momazons boy but she could not keep him any longer and I had just lost Lurch so she offered him to me.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dobby is a Maxi Pionus. The most outgoing, confident, chewingest Maxi I have ever had. There should be threads and pictures of him scattered all over Pionus point and other places here. He used to be Momazons boy but she could not keep him any longer and I had just lost Lurch so she offered him to me.

I will have look

cheers Terry

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:congrats3:

BirdG1rl