• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month - November 2022 - Miss Maui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:starshower1:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy for the month of November 2022

@RachelM 's Miss Maui

How exciting! Maui is a celebirdy around our neighbourhood already, we go on walks in a travel cage/stroller get up and people are big fans of seeing her and Clyde in the warmer months. Hm, maybe she’ll get some of her favourite toys and treats to celebrate!!
as for the questions:

1. How did you acquire your bird?
1: Maui was our very first big bird. what a big step up from cockatiels to macaws! We adopted her from Greyhaven Exotic Bird Sanctuary in February 2019 and made the four hour drive to meet her and get to know her five times! Originally she was rescued by them from extremely poor conditions at the now defunct World Parrot Refuge In Coombs, BC.

2. What is your bird's name, species, age and sex?
2:Maui is her name and we kept it from the rescue, she is a scarlet Macaw who is at least 40 years old but likely much older. We believe her to be female but she’s never actually been DNA tested so it’s possible we’ve been wrong this whole time!

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
3:Maui is very into training, she doesn’t do any ‘tricks’ but she loves recall, target training, and colour training. She’s a very smart girl!

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
4:She is a big eater. Her favourites are fruit of any kind, warm mash, birdie bread, and any sort of human food that gets snuck to her on the rare occasion

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
5: She is very adventurous, so this is not an isolated experience. She’ll often get herself into trouble when we leave the room, and one time i had no clue where she had gone and was starting to get worried. Suddenly i start hearing her little ‘hello’s and now it’s a game of hide and seek. I look up and found her in the coat closet! Attached is a photo of that time and in hindsight it is pretty funny!

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
6:Maui is my heart bird. She has taught me so much in our four years together and i am so grateful she gave me a chance when who knows how many different homes and traumas she’s gone through in her life. She is such a beautiful bird, and makes my life better every day. It is so special knowing she looks forward to spending time with me, we have a special bond that is unique to me and her. No, she doesn’t like being touched, but she is so observant and eager to learn and play with me. She is gentle and also very mischievous and fun. I love her so much

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
7:Well… I think we got lucky with Maui. Most macaws are not this calm and quiet, and are not willing to enjoy sitting on a perch all day looking out the window. Maui is a pretty senior bird and since we’ve only known her a small portion of her life, we have no clue how rambunctious and crazy she may have been in her youth! (I imagine pretty so!) It is like night and day with her and our younger macaw, Clyde. Macaws are such wonderful animals and can make amazing companions, but they are not for the faint of heart. It’s nearly impossible to meet their true needs in captivity. They are loud, messy, and need tons of exercise and extra enrichment. They require your full attention whenever you’re home. But, it is so worth it! They are some of the most incredible birds i have ever known. Every one of them has a different personality, but they all have a certain curiosity and love for the world and people around them. They are amazing birds but certainly not for the faint of heart!

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
8: It varies quite a lot with Maui! Some days she can be very annoying with nonstop screaming, but typically she prefers to just chill and sit by the window. She gets most noisy in the evening. She loves doing lots of different activities and is always playing with toys, foraging, or flying around the house, bathing, etc. But self regulates quite well and lets me know when she’d like to go back to her perch and sit for awhile.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
9: She has so many funny quirks and behaviours! She knows a lot of different words but isn’t very good at pronunciation, so a lot of her favourite words end up sounding like gibberish. She has four different ‘hi’s and ‘hello’s, some sounding deep and manly, others sounding like a little girl! She loves getting herself into trouble and calling me with her cute hello to come and rescue her.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
10: Like i say, gibberish! My favourite one of hers sort of sounds like she’s saying “piccolo” or “break a leg”

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
11: Definitely Bird bread or any type of nut. She likes nutriberries but i don’t think she actually eats anything just likes crushing them in her beak!:laugh:

4E95D40D-1E9A-4FC5-85DE-6DE1B0F7166B.jpeg F1AC9A09-DF00-493A-BAEE-DCB495A62597.jpeg 79D93A6C-946E-41A2-8F68-6741A3378E35.jpeg DB15EEEB-123F-46D0-9EC9-E3C3C7DDBE21.jpeg 7E7472CC-D152-4C9E-9141-66926429C715.jpeg F75F66CA-7CA9-4CB1-90E8-00759B2DEFAB.jpeg AA211AF7-A334-4D6C-9F26-6FF714E621C6.jpeg

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats, loved the pictures!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
She sounds like a wonderful, special friend :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! She's beautiful. I didn't realize Maui was from WPR. That makes you both even more special.

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Congratulations.
She is so cute :heart:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
That was a very lovely interview! I love seeing her all scrunched up on that tree. :heart: And that deviled egg!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm going to ask as I'm curious. Most people probably are not noticing she has an injury to her beak. It appears to be all the way through. A vet does not recommended filling it? My Greenwing had a similar injury and they filled it closed. Has it been healing at all or growing out? Does it bother her at all as it does not seem to from the photos.

Such a strong girl... as most scarlets are! :laugh:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5: Great interview and photos. Maui is gorgeous!

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
Thank you for all the kind words everyone! Maui is my heart bird:swoon: :smileflower:
I'm going to ask as I'm curious. Most people probably are not noticing she has an injury to her beak. It appears to be all the way through. A vet does not recommended filling it? My Greenwing had a similar injury and they filled it closed. Has it been healing at all or growing out? Does it bother her at all as it does not seem to from the photos.
Since Maui is from the WPR we have no clue how long she has had this injury. Likely many years, and it healed well on its own. Her avian vets recommended we leave it as it doesn’t cause her any issues, and likely being a senior bird having it filed would cause her unnecessary stress. I think it makes her unique :heart::xflove:

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
What a stunning Senior Bird. Congratulations! I love hearing the stories about senior birds. You two certainly sound very bonded! The pictures are beautiful.....

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Woooo!!! :birdance: congrats Miss Maui!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I really loved getting to know about Maui and hearing of her story. Congratulations!!

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:cngrt5:I loved reading about Maui!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month