• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month - May 2023 - Max

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:starshower1:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy for the month of May 2023

@Jenphilly 's Max​

Thanks for thinking of Max for the May spotlight!
--------------‐---------

1. How did you acquire your bird?
Max is a shelter bird, I was the Adoption Coordinator for a parrot rescue for years. One day Max decided I was his new mom and best friend for life. Funny part, I never wanted a large parrot, Max apparently didn't care what I thought!

2. What is your bird's name, species, age and sex?
Max, recently nicknamed Miracle, is a 34 year old Blue and Gold Macaw, and with his recent surgery, it was confirmed beyond doubt, he's a boy!

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
Does attacking feet on command count? Not tricks really, but he can open any container that is storing nuts.

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
Max is an awesome eater, he loves red and orange bell peppers, oranges, carrots and crunchy leafy greens. He is nut obsessed, will stand on his head for pistachios, cashews and pine nuts. He's recently gotten hooked on air popped popcorn that I dress up with healthy add ins like cod liver oil, flax seeds, nut butters, cinnamon or a bit of raw honey for sweet treat.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
First thing I think of is the video of him kicking the singing Santa's butt that went viral back in 2014.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
I mentioned I never wanted a large parrot, but Max didn't give us much choice, he was following me home if he had to hide in the trunk! He is truly another child, he's been with us 9 years now and I can't imagine not having the big blue brat trolling the house! I live with chronic health crap, and on days with high pain levels, Max is the reason I force myself to get up and push thru! And how can your day be too bad when a blue brat tells you 'I love you momma' or 'you're a good boy momma'!

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
Well, ironically, just 3 days ago, I just answered someone asking about life with a large parrot vs a large reptile. I'll copy and paste that actual response! - We are a bird and reptile home and family. Birds and reptiles are light years apart on many levels. A large parrot needs attention many waking hours, we have 2 blue and golds in our family, my daughters boy is a bit more independent, but when he's out, he follows her around nonstop. My baby boy (he's 34, with us going on 10 years) is a bit more dependent, he is literally out every waking moment I'm home. They are massively messy and quite destructive, even if it's destruction in allowed play form. I was an Adoption Coordinator for years at a large parrot rescue. Parrots are hugely rewarding in their own way, but your lifestyle will change to accommodate them in order to keep them happy and emotionally balanced. Reptiles on the other hand are not nearly as demanding, destructive, noisey or needy. We've had many reptiles over 20-25 years, my favorite is still a blue tongue skink! My daughter currently has chameleons, and they are gorgeous display creatures! If deciding between the options of parrot or reptile, biggest question, did you ever want children? Cause a large parrot is truly the perpetual 3 year old, but the most brilliant, problem solving 3 year old toddler you'll ever meet! I never wanted a large parrot, but Max decided at the shelter that I was his new mom and best friend, life has never been the same. I can't imagine life without him now, but he is an exceptionally needy child. He takes more time everyday than my daughters dozens of reptiles do in a week. And medical costs, we are $15,000 in debt since January 3st for medical and surgical costs to save Max's life. That's not a given you'll ever experience, but parrots do need routine vet checks including bloodwork panels. Sorry rambling on, life with a large parrot is very rewarding, but I always joke, it's a special kinda crazy to live with a large parrot! I'm more than happy to chat about our home and lives, how birds and reptiles have changed our lives (good or not so good). Pic of my Max sitting on my chest literally who made typing this 10 times longer

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Max has never been a loud or screaming bird, he gets loud when be thinks I'm about to leave and never come back, you know, like going to the bathroom. Max lives the life of a kid, so seeing a blue and gold macaw waddling across the floor is just normal for us!

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
Max came home with some serious OCD behaviors, and while we've gotten him to be more silly and make a mess playing, he still has some behaviors like in his cage, he's very particular about not throwing food and most nut shells are in the food bowl. He also is very careful with his toys, he doesn't throw or toss them, he will gently put them back in his toy bucket or often piles them up.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
I never 'taught' Max any sayings, but one day he just says 'I love you momma', I'm sure someone taught him momma in his previous life, but he only says it to me. After telling him all the time 'you're a good boy Max', he started responding with 'you're a good boy momma'.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
Max loves salty snacks, but those are limited. He eats really awesome, he's a nut about a piece of Colby jack or provolone cheese. He loves popcorn too and his favorite are the small pieces and he searches the bottom of the bowl looking for unpopped kernels.

Pics of Max include a few over the years! The pic of me in the coral/orange shirt is the day Max decided I was his new mom. That was the moment he first stepped up on my arm and face planted into my chest. Then some random pics like our travels to the Outer Banks several years ago, and lots of snuggle bug Max pics of the Momma's Boy!

Screenshot_20230209_234344_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20230209_234335_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20230209_234437_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20230209_234506_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20230209_234557_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20230209_234719_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20230209_234649_Facebook.jpg 20230423_101215.jpg 20230422_140704.jpg 20230421_223041.jpg 20230420_111044.jpg 20230419_233514.jpg 20230419_231806.jpg 20230416_132922.jpg

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:congrats5: :loveshower:
Looking so great!!!!!!!! :excited2::swoon:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:congrats5:
Max is surely a miracle bird!! :heart2:

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's the best choice :heart: :heart:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The like the picture of him sneaking up. :laugh:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aw yay Max you deserve this bud!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
About made me cry......

Congrats Max!

(Ummmmm @Macawnutz a certain other blue and gold gets this award next month, right? I mean, he gave his BLOOD for Max!)

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I loved this interview and completely understand the feeling that a bird you had no intention of picking picked you! What a blessing in disguise. Congratulations!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Congrats!! So exciting!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
:starshower1: Congratulations :starshower1:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations. Seeing this makes me very happy. If any bird deserves to be both a celebrity and celebrated it's Max......

........and of course that other B&G who helped save his life.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations!!! :frworks:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award