• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month/April 2011/CHARLES/(Lotus15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
I am so excited to announce the Celebirdy for the month of April....
Coco's (Lotus15) Charles:dance5::dance5::dance5:

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
:starshower::starshower::starshower:

1. How did you acquire your bird?
Charles was a gift from my mother when I moved out of the house and missed our family's bird, Karat the Hahn's Macaw, SO much. She swung by one day, told me to get in the car, and drove me straight to an English Budgie breeder's aviary and said, "Pick one!" My roommate, who had an affinity for all things English, helped me name him: Charles Kingsley Wentworth.

2. What is your birds name, age and sex?
His full name is Charles Kingsley Wentworth. He will be 2 years old in July, and he is a male.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
Charlie is a simple bird… he did once fling his poop right at me though. :rolleyes:

4. What are some of your birds favorite foods?
He relishes every bite he eats, but some of his absolute favorite foods are carrot tops, kale, and swiss chard, baby carrots, Good Stuff's organic bird bread, cooked quinoa and couscous, and fresh sprouts.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Charles LOVES shiny stainless steel pails-- he loves seeing his own reflection. :o: Once he found his way into one of Lola's pails and hopped on the edge and starting beaking "himself" when he fell inside!! All I could see were scrambling little feet and a tail!! :rofl:

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
Charles has taught me how to love unconditionally. It was easy to fall in love with Karat or Lola-- two snuggle monsters-- but Charles is typically a very hands off, more "dignified" type. He won't be rolling around playing hide and seek with me any time soon. In fact, although he steps up very well, he will not allow me to preen him or usually even pet him. I will admit that early on, I was a little disappointed that he was not more human-friendly, but I know now that he is a bird's bird, and I respect that and love him anyway. It wasn't until his accident that I realized he loves me too. I remember going to the vet's for my first visit during his overnight stays-- he hopped right out of the incubator, onto my finger, chirped for me, let me kiss his tummy, then just stared at me -- almost like he wasn't going to let me out of his sight again, or to make sure I wasn't going anywhere. And he took a nap on my finger for the first time. I felt really honored. I love my big boy more than anything else in the world!

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
I would tell them that budgies are just like any other parrot. They have BIG personalities and are capable of a LOT of love. I think so many people think that the "little guys" are often "easier" to take care of because you can throw them in a wire cage with some seed and be done with them. And though their care is easier in a lot of ways, they deserve all the "amenities" that a larger bird does: a big cage, lots of toys, natural wood and rope perches, and a healthy, enriched diet complete with all of the mashes and sprouts and veggies and bread and everything you'd bend over backwards to do for a thousand dollar macaw. I also know plenty of budgies who have gotten heavy metal poisoning, so they deserve all the care of looking into the metals in their toys as well. It makes me sad to see how many people have budgies almost as "decorative" pieces in their homes. :(

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
He loves to fly, but otherwise he's not a play-hard type of bird. He does have a few favorite toys that he will beak, and goes through phases where he's very into agave or balsa (very soft woods), but for the most part he is a very docile little guy. He has a very pleasant chirp (unless he's upset!) and does not make a lot of noise :)

9. What are some of your birds quirks?
He loves shiny toys because he loves looking at his own handsome self :o: He eats all of his greens upside down :rofl: He refuses to bathe! And when he sees me coming in with a meal he will sit right next to the empty ring holder patiently waiting for me to serve his meal :)

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
He's not a talker :)

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
Millet! In any shape or form.

Attachments

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
What a great interview!
Congrats Charles and Coco!

Oh and the eating the greens upside down? Too funny! :D

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Love it!! :highfive: Charlie boy, you're wonderful! :hug8:

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
What a cutie pie!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
:heart:'s him. I am so happy he's doing well. I am surprised he doesn't talk though. Budgies usually talk a blue streak.

Ginger

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
a real cutie pie congratulaions

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
THANK YOU!!!! :heart: :heart: Thank you so so so much, guys!!! :dance4: I am so proud of my little Charles!!! That very last photo of him... that's from the day he came home :heart: :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Loved the interview!!:bliss:
Charles is sooooo cute!:swoon:

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
aww he's so adorable. I had a blue parakeet as a kid.

congrats!

May I ask what is the mop looking preening toy in the last pic Is it a swing? Did you make it or buy it? Looks like a cool preening toy

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
aww he's so adorable. I had a blue parakeet as a kid.

congrats!

May I ask what is the mop looking preening toy in the last pic Is it a swing? Did you make it or buy it? Looks like a cool preening toy
Hmm I think your last pic might be different from my last pic-- my last pic is the one where he's on the sandy perch. Do you mean the one where he's on the natural branch perch with the white cotton fuzzy thing around him, and a spray millet in the bottom left?

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Congrats! I always love reading the interviews!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwwwwwwwwwwhat a wonderful choice..he is such a little dolliekins..I love your posts and pictures of Charles..

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Congrats Coco and Charles!! I have to admit Charles has made me want another Budgie in my life again!:heart:

ArloDuncan

Real Name
Steve
:congrats: Coco and Charles.. He is so Adorable.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! I loved the interview!

Matt

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:heart: He's so cute!! ONe of the luckiest Budgies that I know of!

Status
Not open for further replies.