• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cast Iron Cages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Hello!
I've FINALLY purchased a cage for my IRN - YEAH!!!:dance5:
S/He arrives first week of June!

I bought it off of Kijiji for a decent price as its practically unused and in great condition. It is powder coated cast iron.

How do you all feel about Cast Iron?
Im aware rust can be a concern, but the woman swears its fully powdered coated with no chipping or rust.

We pick it up on friday.

Oh, and I know, the bar spacing is in fact 1 inch but my breeder SWEARS she has all her IRNS in 1' inch bar spacing and has no trouble with it at all. She's very reputable, so I trust her.
I do have a temporary cockateil cage if it doesnt work out until the baby grows up.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
It's beautiful! I have never had one so can't tell you yah or nay... Is it real heavy?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The photos look nice but I don't know anything about cast iron. Goodluck!!:)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Cast iron is pretty similar to wrought iron (what most powder-coated cages are made of)-- it's a little bit more brittle and can't take quite as much abuse as wrought iron can, but as long as you're not going to be slamming anything into it or dropping it, it should be very sturdy :)

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
Are you sure the people are not mistaking "wrought iron" for cast iron? I've never heard of a cage being made from cast iron ... and if you could get the bars thin enough, they'd likely be so brittle that they would break.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
HHmm, Im only assuming its CAST iron becuase the seller told me it was, LOL
Maybe it is Wrought Iron....hahaha!!!
I would imagine that if Cast iron is to brittle, they wouldnt make cages from it all.
She says she paid $700.00 for it brand new less than a year ago.....

...its propbaby Wrought Iron then.
Thanks! :D

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
haha, ok :D

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Yea, it's probably powder coated wrought iron. Most people have powder coated cages.

drop

That looks like a Hagen Cage. Seeing that you are from Canada, it is a possibilty as I think they are one of the more common brands here? I believe Jamie is right when he says she may have ment wrought iron. I have Hagen cages here, I am happy with them. I really like the dome tops ones, sucks that they are being discontinued. :(

Last edited:

Bunkybird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Trish
What a beautiful cage :highfive: sometimes you can really find a great deals.... I found mine on CL and only paid 100.00....It is a really good make (California Cage) and sold for around 500.00 or so :)

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Discontinued? Really! You see so many large bird owners with dimetop, Im surpried they are doing that.

I really would have liked one of those ones with the folding forward dometop but I couldnt find one second hand.....really didnt want to order from the internet. tee hee!

I hope this cage size is adequate. Im looking at the pic today and thinking it might not be deep enough...?

drop

That's what the local pet place told my friend who wanted to have one ordered. They only kept the dome in the two smaller sizes.

The folding forwards dome top is really cool, I got a King's Cage like that with my rehomed TAG. But he is now in the Hagen Dome as it is bigger for him.

Last edited:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
That's what the local pet place told my friend who wanted to have one ordered. They only kept the dome in the two smaller sizes.

The folding forwards dome top is really cool, I got a King's Cage like that with my rehomed TAG. But he is now in the Hagen Dome as it is bigger for him.
Crazy! I wonder if its because of a manufacturing reason or if they just dont sell.
Thanks, I think its pretty nice :laughing12:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Yeah, she gave me the dementions, and said it was 2 1/2 feet deep - I hope her 7inch tail can swing freely in there.
Oh well, I will soon find out, it comes tomorow @ 6pm! Yeah!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Kay so my cage just came! Its not as new as the photo made it appear, but its in really good condition, just needs a good wipe down. It has an open top too, which I didnt know as they didnt mention it in the add, so Im pleased with that.

They also threw in 4 perches - one of those HUGE pedi perches, a huge dark brown wood perch and 2 extra extra large dowel like perches.....Im not sure if our bird will be able to use any of them as they are HUGE in diameter but we will see.
Im really pleased!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I'd love to see pictures of it set up if you can! I love seeing what others do with cages- so I can steal all the best ideas for my birds, :hehe:! I'd assume it's powder coated wrought iron, same as both my flight cages. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks like a Hagen Cage. Seeing that you are from Canada, it is a possibilty as I think they are one of the more common brands here? I believe Jamie is right when he says she may have ment wrought iron. I have Hagen cages here, I am happy with them. I really like the dome tops ones, sucks that they are being discontinued. :(
They are being discontinued and they are made out of wrought iron? I really did not know that. How do you know they are being discontinued and do you know why?:)

drop

Saemma, to myknowledge the only model that is being discontinued is the Manor DomeTop. I don't know why, a friend of mine just told me this because she wanted one special ordered last mnth or so and the store told her that it was discotinued. That line of parrot cages also only comes in the silver color now, according to the same store. But I haven't asked about it myself, so I don't really know more. I would assume that hey may not have sold as well as the play tops in that size, but my guess is a good as anyone elses. I think I will write and ask them.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Drop.:) I haven't seen a Manor dome top in a long while. Emma's is a flattop Manor. It's in pretty excellent condition at the moment. It doesn't look it.. but Emma's is the "silver" colored one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.