• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Care taker of grey in icu

scott199

Walking the driveway
i would agree with the above, we have a nippy (actually blood drinking as of last week :) ) grey and hes not tolerant of hands to much.

Target training through the bars was a great way to get him trusting fingers a little more, once hes good with the target/stick, move him around the cage, try to learn what his favourite treat is and mix that in with others or save it for the special times.

once hes taken to the target, you could then use that to entice him back in or as others have said if he's food motivated, i give ours his evening meal around 7pm (ish) i use a little pot to tip it into his stainless bowl and soon as he hears the rattle of the bowl he normally goes straight back in or come's wondering over if he's on the floor.

if you can the target training down you can then introduce a T perch or similar, hold the perch, tap with target and start to "station" train him in the cage, it sounds long winded but your be surprised how quickly they pick things up.

im afraid its just time and patience, as with you they are very emotional little things and will pickup on your mood and also the general feelings around them, as someone else said you might be also dealing with the longing for his person.