• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Capri is a fresh food snob... *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
So the one problem we're encountering is Capri not being thrilled with fresh foods. She LOVES her pellets. LOVES her soaked pellets. LOVES her dried food mixes. But as far as fresh foods. I don't know why she doesn't like it. I think it's the the wetness. She often shakes her head when she tries it. I've made the pieces bigger and smaller. I've tried mushing it up. I've tried giving it to her whole!

Today... was the FIRST day she ate something fresh. I found a pomegranate at the store for $1.99 (they're like 0.30 when in season!) and today I cut it open. Mia LOVES poms. She's also a picky eater!! Capri saw Mia eating it and went for it too. Now if only I can get Mia to eat OTHER good things.

Any suggestions on how to make Capri more open to trying fresh things. I've tried almost everything... apples, pears, watermelon, cantaloupe, sweet potato, squash, peas, carrots, kiwi, peppers, honeydew, grapes, cherries, blueberries.... lol... I'm desperate!!

Attachments

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Joanna- Have you tried eating stuff in front of them and making those yummy smacking noises?

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
AWe one little seed. lol How does she like the foraging roll?

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Ignores the foraging rolls- completely... lol..

I've made the BIGGEST fool of myself! YUUMMMM!! MMMM!!! SOoO GOOOOODDD!! At least my diet is getting better :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's lovely.:D
Didn't her breeder accustom her to fresh foods?:huh:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I've made the BIGGEST fool of myself! YUUMMMM!! MMMM!!! SOoO GOOOOODDD!! At least my diet is getting better :)[/QUOTE]

Me too. That's what I do sometimes with Bodie. Sometimes it works and other times he just looks at me like I am crazy.:hehe:

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
She's lovely.:D
Didn't her breeder accustom her to fresh foods?:huh:
She did and according to her she's ALWAYS been a picky eater!!! She'll play with things but never eat them!! The breeder always put veggies in toys and bowls for them (see attached pics). Capri's just a spoiled monster!!

Attachments

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I've made the BIGGEST fool of myself! YUUMMMM!! MMMM!!! SOoO GOOOOODDD!! At least my diet is getting better :)

Me too. That's what I do sometimes with Bodie. Sometimes it works and other times he just looks at me like I am crazy.:hehe:[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I SWEAR Capri raises an eyebrow at me... as if to say.... "really... REALLLLLY?! I can tell you hate squash!"

This bird is too smart for me!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Keep offering it.

I had some birds who wouldn't touch the fresh stuff and finally gave in after a while.

It also helps if they'll see another bird (I tried showing them how good it was - didn't work ;) ) eat it, like it happened for you now and the pom.

Piper starting a lot better when she saw Shade eat the fresh stuff.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I'm hoping the Pom is a gateway to other things! It was the first thing she really liked!! Her perch is stained red!! lol!!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I can't believe you found Poms! Lucky you.

Anyway, my Goffin hates wet things also. I found a kabob was essential in getting him to eat fresh foods. The things I started with were raw sweet potatoes (He likes the lighter color ones best), fresh peas in the pod, corn cob wheels, a dried bagel half..............got him used to eating/ripping things up off the kabob and now he will eat papaya with seeds, and cantalope.
He has now learned to eat a few other things because I'd get him out when my Hahn's was eating his mash and he had to check out what was in the dish! So now they very sweetly eat dinner together while sitting on my lap. What a mess!

Status
Not open for further replies.