• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can't resist cuddles

Status
Not open for further replies.

quakingcanopy

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Or at least that's how it seems. Grapefruit wants to cuddle. I sit down on the floor, set her on my bed, and we work for 15 mins at a time. But all she wants to do is walk up to me, curl up under my chin, snuggle and grind her beak. Oh...it's...just...so...cute. Very hard to resist :heart:

But I do! Or at least, I try to. I save cuddling for when she performs the way I want her too - this is more of a reward to her then is a seed or nut or what have you. But the problem is I am not sure how to handle this. I spend 2-3 mins using my hand to block her from coming close to me and push her back over to the center of the bed so I can work with her. Once she will stand over there I work on touching her legs - which she isn't a huge fan of. But she nips at me and runs back over to cuddle! So, several more mins of trying to get her to stay back and let me touch her feet and she ends up flustered and out of breath and I don't feel like we are accomplishing anything. I have recently tried persisting through what I want to work on as if she isn't even trying to move toward me and continue to work with her legs and touch her beak when she nips me but her nips become more frequent and harder.

Any ideas? I know she is a baby, and I am a beginner. But how can I redirect her focus? How can I avoid having to move her away from me for most of the session until she out of breath and we've gotten nowhere? TIA :hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Maybe try working with her while you are standing and she is on a perch?

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Oh my goodness, I have no idea, I would not be able to resist (note to self: Do NOT get a cockatoo, it would have me COMPLETELY trained! :faint:)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Have you tried cuddling for a while first and then try to work with Grapefruit. I know the first thing my RB2 Russell wants to do when he gets out of his cage is to snuggle and get his head scratched. After that he is a little more willing to do other things.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I wouldnt be using the cuddles as a training tool....cuddles are a natural thing you should be doing all the time....just my opinion..

Status
Not open for further replies.