• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can't find a breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
I'm having a really hard time finding a breeder in my area. I would love to add a GCC or a Tiel to my home but would really prefer to buy from a breeder as a baby instead of the ones at the pet store. Mainly because I want one that is at least hand tame. Anyone have any suggestions on locating a breeder or know of one in Kansas?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
why not add a rescue...there are so many tiels out there that are just discarded..in fact, the rescues are so full, they are turning them away.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
too bad your not near me, This weekend I'll be pulling 4 Tiel babies to hand feed

Will be setting up my Green Cheek pair again in a few months - They've only had one baby and OMG he was a absolute DOLL - I hand fed him too

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
Anne... as long as the bird is hand tame, I am completely open to a rescue or rehome bird! I still have no idea where to start looking though.

Kelli... now I am just jealous! I so wish I lived closer. :(

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
You might also try petfinder.com Lots of bird shelters on there, and tiels and 'keets are the most surrendered birds.

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
Thank you all! I've checked out all of the links and will start doing some research!

evsrin

Thank you all! I've checked out all of the links and will start doing some research!
I would really encourage you to search for one in a rescue. I have a 6 yr old GCC from a rescue and he's PERFECT! Hand tame, good eater even though he doesn't eat much... he's still willing to try anything I give him, quiet, I couldn't ask for a better bird. He was surrendered because he "bit the kids" The kids who were sticking their fingers in his cage and God knows what else to terrorize him. I don't have any kids yet, but he doesn't mind my neices & nephews any, and I don't let them bang on his cage! It's just common sense. So, you can find a truly wonderful bird in rescue!

I also fostered another from a different rescue, in hopes of keeping him, but he turned out to be a man's bird and dind't like me at all. He was hand tame, he just liked to bite mine because I'm a female! lol

Once I started looking for a GCC, I literally found one within a few days in the rescue. I think for birds like that, and Tiels, it's so important to adopt, becuase soooooo many of them are without forever homes. I found mine right here in the re-home section! I had to drive 2 hours to get him, but I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. :)

Good luck in your search!

Last edited:

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
why not add a rescue...there are so many tiels out there that are just discarded..in fact, the rescues are so full, they are turning them away.
I was going to suggest the same thing. I have 5 rescue parrots and they are all wonderful. And Buddy who lived at the rescue over a year is the sweetest most loving baby ever. And at leasrt around here, there are always so many tiels and conures that need good homes....

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
don't know where exactly you are in KS but i found a GCC breeder down in OK and am planning to get a baby from her

Oklahoma Green Cheeks! - Home (<...is the breeders website)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Eevie (Oklahoma Green Cheeks) is awesome, I would highly suggest her, so many people have got babies from her and have been so happy. She has the cutest babies too.

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
Try Flights of Fantasy aviary for some cute, well socialized babies: Flights of Fantasy Aviary. Eevie's babies at Ok GC are also adorable. Soo jealous!
What state is Flights of Fantasy in? I won't ship. I don't disagree with those who do, it's just my preference.

I'm taking note of everyones suggestions for when I am looking again later. But for now, my flock is complete. I added a baby Tiel a few weeks ago and a 1 year old Hahn's on Friday. This was posted before I had either of them. I am at capacity right now as I do not have the space for more. I'm moving next Spring though and will be looking then. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Tina (Flights of Fantasy Aviary) is located in Davis, California.

And yes, she is another very good and highly recommended breeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.