• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Candles

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I know that candles are toxic to birds when they are burning but what about when they aren't burning? I keep two on my dresser. I haven't burned them since I got my birds. Should I take them out of my room or are they fine?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I also have candles :)
I have lots of yankee minis in my cupboards and sock drawers etc in my bedroom, I have a christmassy smelling one in the glass cabinet (can´t smell it unless I open the door), I have two large ones with lids on display on the shelf, and the 3 I posted about recently, non scented ones I want to de pot. I don´t burn them obviously. I think they are fine as long as your birds not licking them or anything like that.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Ooh! I'm interested to hear this too! I also have scented candles (I don't burn them because of my little budgies) but I have them on display with their lids on. Pretty much only so the people who had given them to me see them on display! If its no good I'll remove.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They are literally there as I don't want to offend people who gave them as gifts!
You could say you burned them, and give them to someone who will enjoy them if you don´t want to keep them.... though that will open you up to receiving more candles :lol:
All of my candles were gifts from my mum, every single one. She never comes in my house. The last time she was here was just aftr Aldora joined us... many years ago.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Haha true! I sometimes burn them when I have a bath (birds nowhere near my bathroom which is upstairs). Pre budgie life I always burned candles...My house was always so clean too! Now its full of feathers and pellets but so much more fun!

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Haha true! I sometimes burn them when I have a bath (birds nowhere near my bathroom which is upstairs). Pre budgie life I always burned candles...My house was always so clean too! Now its full of feathers and pellets but so much more fun!
Same here :laughing6: I always burnt candles! Didn't go a day without burning candles in my room, bathroom, kitchen, everywhere

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Our power is out here now because of the storm. I drove across town to Target because they have Beeswax candles in stock. Turns out they're "Beeswax Blend" (Beeswax, Paraffin Wax, Palm Oil), but they are unscented and the wick is lead free.

Are they safe in the same room as the birds? We're all going to stay in the master bedroom (warmest room in the house) til power comes back on.

Aves

Our power is out here now because of the storm. I drove across town to Target because they have Beeswax candles in stock. Turns out they're "Beeswax Blend" (Beeswax, Paraffin Wax, Palm Oil), but they are unscented and the wick is lead free.

Are they safe in the same room as the birds? We're all going to stay in the master bedroom (warmest room in the house) til power comes back on.
To my knowledge no candles are safe unless they are the fake battery operated kind.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I know the 100% beeswax ones with cotton wicks are safe. I'm mostly worried about the blend.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I know the 100% beeswax ones with cotton wicks are safe. I'm mostly worried about the blend.
Nothing that actually burns will ever be 100% safe as it still lets off smoke- the candles you mention are a much safer option but they’re still not really safe for our birds.

At a guess I’d say a once off use in a well ventilated area won’t kill your birds (kinda like smoking one cigarette won’t kill you) but it’s still not in their best interest to burn candles around them.
If you really have no choice but to use them I would ensure there’s a slight crack in a window for fresh air and definitely don’t blow them out in the area your birds are in.

You don’t have any torches?

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
If the power goes out here, (There's a good chance there will because they are trying to conserve energy and are planning to turn out the power for an hour each day) I have hardly any way to keep the birds warm, our stove is electric so we can't boil water, all the bird safe heating pads and space heaters need electricity to run, all the light bulbs obviously need power and other things I can't remember right now. So basically the only thing I can do is close off any vents or windows to outside, cover the cages with blankets and quilts, use flashlights for light, can't think of anything else.

That was kind of off topic but I say candles are OK if they're covered.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Being covered doesn’t make smoke, scent or fumes just disappear... covered or not candles are best not ever used around birds.
Covered means less chance of direct burns from the candle flame but that is the only bonus of using some kind of cover.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Since the recent activity in this thread is due to the power outages in North America due to winter storms, it should be noted that candles don't give off much heat in BTUs, so you'd need dozens of them to affect the temperature of even a small enclosed room, or a single candle would need to be extremely close to your birds to make a difference in their immediate surroundings. Neither approach is safe for your birds, and anything else is a placebo for your (psychological) comfort, not your bird's.

(a candle gives off 70-80 BTUs and a human being gives off 250-400 depending on what it's doing)​

Some thoughts if you're still concerned, and want to feel like you're doing something...
  • collocate everyone in the same room (the most central room, with fewest external walls and windows).
  • the water in your hot water heater will still be quite warm long after the power goes out, so you could use a hot water bottle (or zip-lock bag, in a pinch), and place it in close proximity to your bird's cage (under the bottom grate might be a good idea). This isn't going to provide much heat, and the hot water needs to be refreshed regularly, but it's safe.
  • heat a brick in an outdoor BBQ and use it in a similar manner to the hot water bottle (keeping yourself safe while handling the hot brick, and ensuring your birds are secured away from its heat (yet close enough to benefit from its warmth). Don't do anything like this; it's only asking for trouble.
  • in a truly prolonged outage, bug-out to a friend/family/hotel which is per-friendly and has heat/power.
All that said... our birds are more robust than we give them credit for in our pampering, and even my leaky 1892 building wouldn't lose enough heat in 48hrs without power to put my little flock in danger.

I hope everyone's power returns soon.

Last edited: