• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary - girl or boy

Arlinki

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Arlene
I have had this canary for over a month now. I named it Gibby. It is very responsive when talked to and loves to have company. It sings a little, very softly. When I gave Gibby some dried grass, it tried to build a nest in it's seed dish, so I gave it a nesting bowl. Sometimes Gibby likes to sit in the nesting bowl. When I play a canary singing on my phone, Gibby gets very excited and jumps around the cage. However, if I show Gibby the bird singing on my phone, he/she sits and raises her tail and gets excited like she wants to be mounted. Would a male act this way or do I definitely have a little girl on my hands.
If Gibby is a girl, should I get another cage and bird to keep her happy? Also, if Gibby is a female, am I frustrating her by playing canary training songs? I want to keep my canary happy.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
bump

Arlinki

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Arlene
Hi, a little update on my little canary, Gibby. Turns out it is a Girl. Gibby laid an egg this morning. She is still a sweet little singer. She sings softly, so you have to listen carefully. She will probably never be a loud singer. I hope I can keep her happy without getting her a mate.