• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can xrays show how many eggs my cockatiel will lay?

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
Hi, I’ve googled this question but wasn’t able to find anything. Will an egg show up on an X-ray even if it’s not expected for her to lay one for another >48 hours?
I took kimchee to the vet yesterday because she had layed an egg the night before and I thought she looked sick (turns out she’s healthy but was just being broody) The vetdid an X-ray to see if there was another egg in there that could have caused her to look sick. She said they didn’t see any egg.
Now it is 48 hours since she layed the first one and I’m wondering if she will lay another? Would the X-ray show an egg that isn’t supposed to be layed for another day?
It stresses me out when she lays so I just want to prepare myself if she is going to.
Thank you :)

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I don't know exactly how long it takes for parrots to make a new egg, but in chickens it only takes 24 to 48 hours. After the yolk and white is formed, the shell is deposited over roughly 19 hours. X-ray are better at detecting fully-formed eggs, rather than developing eggs. If the egg has not formed the shell yet, it is much harder to see. So if the x-ray was taken 48 hours ago, she could be ready to lay again. Or not. Only time will tell.

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
I don't know exactly how long it takes for parrots to make a new egg, but in chickens it only takes 24 to 48 hours. After the yolk and white is formed, the shell is deposited over roughly 19 hours. X-ray are better at detecting fully-formed eggs, rather than developing eggs. If the egg has not formed the shell yet, it is much harder to see. So if the x-ray was taken 48 hours ago, she could be ready to lay again. Or not. Only time will tell.
Oh ok thank you, she probably will then because she always lays two :(

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it safe to take x rays for egg detection? We know it's very harmful for human fetus.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don't know exactly how long it takes for parrots to make a new egg, but in chickens it only takes 24 to 48 hours.
It is the same for small parrots Destiny. Cockatiels, lovebirds etc.
I don´t know about the larger parrots.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I monitor my tiel's weight when she is laying. I also weigh her eggs. Her eggs are usually about 5 g. When she is acting hormonal and she gains over 5 g - I know she will be laying soon.

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
I monitor my tiel's weight when she is laying. I also weigh her eggs. Her eggs are usually about 5 g. When she is acting hormonal and she gains over 5 g - I know she will be laying soon.
Oh that’s a good idea, I’ll have to try that

Raelo83

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rachel
Hi, I’ve googled this question but wasn’t able to find anything. Will an egg show up on an X-ray even if it’s not expected for her to lay one for another >48 hours?
I took kimchee to the vet yesterday because she had layed an egg the night before and I thought she looked sick (turns out she’s healthy but was just being broody) The vetdid an X-ray to see if there was another egg in there that could have caused her to look sick. She said they didn’t see any egg.
Now it is 48 hours since she layed the first one and I’m wondering if she will lay another? Would the X-ray show an egg that isn’t supposed to be layed for another day?
It stresses me out when she lays so I just want to prepare myself if she is going to.
Thank you :)
Hi! I totally understand the stress. My conure does it once or twice a year. Google "dummy eggs". I can't remember the name of the exact site but they are out of Florida. I purchased them and they cut the egg laying process down. Different species of birds are hard wired to lay a certain number of eggs. My bird is 5-7. After the first egg is laid I put in usually 4 or 5 dummy eggs. Then my baby only lays 2 to 3 of her own. I hope this helps. : )

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
Hi! I totally understand the stress. My conure does it once or twice a year. Google "dummy eggs". I can't remember the name of the exact site but they are out of Florida. I purchased them and they cut the egg laying process down. Different species of birds are hard wired to lay a certain number of eggs. My bird is 5-7. After the first egg is laid I put in usually 4 or 5 dummy eggs. Then my baby only lays 2 to 3 of her own. I hope this helps. : )
Thank you! I’ll check those out!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I can't remember the name of the exact site but they are out of Florida.
They are dummyeggs.com ;)