• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can two male macaws become friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg:

Is it that female with the aggression issues we all followed so close, with a male owner who had no big bird experience, ohhhhhh what's her name????

Please tell me its her
Danita, are you thinking of Paco?
Yah, I'm such a dunce. She had to spell it out for me :D Now, we're all gonna want Debbie to get her! :lol:

onthewingsofmacaws

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Patricia
Oh yes two male Macaws can become the best of friends in the right enviroment. I'm hoping that my 2 will become friends its getting better all the time At first Darius was very very jealous and would not allow Chatot anywhere near me if he was around. Now I can pic Chatot up and give him scritches and Darius no longer gets upset. I started with putting them on the backs of two separtate Chairs about 2 ft apart and then hand fed them sweet potatos or Squash from a spoon. 1 bowl 1 spoon so they got a sence of sharing food together and noone went away hungry. Then I did the same thing with play time I would not hold either one but I would dance and sing with them or have screaming matches to see who could outscream the other I would give each of them praise and scritches but never one more than the other. its been 4 months now and like I said Darius is no longer aggresive towards Chatot and I think in time this exceptance will get to be a strong bond between them at least I hope so. Darius is 5 years older than Chatot so I don't now if thats going to be a problem yet or not.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I spoke to the woman with the 22 yr old catalina. She has had the bird since it was 2 weeks old. The woman is getting older and really wants to move the bird on. But she is being very picky about WHERE. I don't blame her a bit, I'd practically make someone take a pee test. LOL

My husband is concerned because the bird is obese (She said 4 lbs??). I am not concerned about that, because I know how to feed.

He lives on an unheated porch. He has a small cage, but the door is never closed. I was honest that I cage during the day. But my cages are huge. And they have lots of stuff.

She wants to come and see my house before she decides. So, I won't know anything for awhile. (She is about 5 hours from me).

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I want to say I can understand exactly where the older woman is coming from. She has been with the bird for many years and it has become part of her and very hard to give up. Once she comes to your home everything will work out for the best.

gary

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I want to say I can understand exactly where the older woman is coming from. She has been with the bird for many years and it has become part of her and very hard to give up. Once she comes to your home everything will work out for the best.

gary
I know, I cannot imagine having to make that decision myself. (Though we all will at some point I suppose).

I think whatever is supposed to happen will. She felt a lot better at the end of the conversation.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, do keep us updated whenever you know more :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Oh Paco!!!! (Triton Greens bird) That is fabulous!!!

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Well, it is very possible it will be Margo/Paco coming here. I will be sure to share pics.

onthewingsofmacaws

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Patricia
I can't imigine what it must be like for that poor woman to have to give up her bird after so many many years. It trully must be the hardest thing she has ever done. I'm sure she wants to find the perfet home where the bird won't end up on the rehomeing revolving door. I think that would be my biggest concern. A stable home where things are not constantly changing is hard to find these days so many people are into their careers and trying to get ahead. their lives are constantly changing one day they want a companion the next they have to leave the country to better their careers.or they don't have time for himor her anymore because its time to raise a family. I would hate to have tobe in her place. I know what itslie to have a very busy life I have been there and done.that.I'm finally at a point where I can relax a bit and enjoy life and my birds. that the kind of home she needs to find for her bird unfortunatly it doesn't happen until the age of 50 if your lucky and 60 if your not. I'm one of the lucky ones my home is comletely paid for I only work 3- 6 hour shifts a week and thats from 5pm til11 pm I have nothing but time to spend with my birds. I'm 53 years old I still have a good 30 years I hope before I have to worry about that.

Last edited:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, it is very possible it will be Margo/Paco coming here. I will be sure to share pics.
:omg::dancing::bounce7::cloud9::dancing:

And I can't help thinking that this might just be a better way to go for Diego. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but IMO a male/female pal situation is more likely to work. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.