• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can two male macaws become friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Or with big macaws is it usually a fight to the death testosterone fest?

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Yes, they can become friends and in time many will form a strong bond and live as a bonded pair. It takes time, careful introduction and a lot of patience. But it can be done.

I once fostered two older male Amazons. A 15 year old Yellow Nape and a 25 year old Double yellow head. They were both nasty, evil old fellas. It took about a year, but they eventually bonded and they now are living out their lives as a bonded pair in our Aviary.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm, I'm guessing it depends on things like age, temperament, how the birds get along with other birds generally... Would Diego be one of the birds in this scenario?

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Yes, they can become friends and in time many will form a strong bond and live as a bonded pair. It takes time, careful introduction and a lot of patience. But it can be done.

I once fostered two older male Amazons. A 15 year old Yellow Nape and a 25 year old Double yellow head. They were both nasty, evil old fellas. It took about a year, but they eventually bonded and they now are living out their lives as a er pair in our Aviary.
Great post I agree with you as we have several that live together.

gary

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Hmm, I'm guessing it depends on things like age, temperament, how the birds get along with other birds generally... Would Diego be one of the birds in this scenario?
mayyybeeeee :lol:

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
We are going to foster a macaw. There are, as always, a ton waiting for foster homes.

One is a male 22 yr old Catalina. One is the B&G female that I helped get into rescue from the other site from the coast. Remember that?

There are a bunch of other options, but the 22 yr old tugs at my heart.

I know I am "only" 42, but I feel an older bird is best in case we decide to adopt.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We are going to foster a macaw. There are, as always, a ton waiting for foster homes.

One is a male 22 yr old Catalina. One is the B&G female that I helped get into rescue from the other site from the coast. Remember that?

There are a bunch of other options, but the 22 yr old tugs at my heart.

I know I am "only" 42, but I feel an older bird is best in case we decide to adopt.
Not recalling the B&G female from the other site for some reason. :confused: But, very cool, either way :)

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Wow, that would be very cool :) I would think so, I've seen a couple cases on here I believe of bonded male macaws (I think so anyways)

M

M.C Bird Rescue

:omg: That is so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So...whats the situation with the foster Ekkie? Did I miss some posts? Is he staying as well? I get a little backed up on posts because I get so darn busy around here. I try and keep up though..I do.

ANY BIRD will be lucky to have found you!!!!!
:hug8:

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
:omg: That is so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So...whats the situation with the foster Ekkie? Did I miss some posts? Is he staying as well? I get a little backed up on posts because I get so darn busy around here. I try and keep up though..I do.

ANY BIRD will be lucky to have found you!!!!!
:hug8:
Juno (ekkie) is awesome, but he is going to a fabulous fid for someone else. He is just a perfect bird. He steps up, not loud, eats anything you put in front of him, forages like a champ.

My DH and I feel so strongly that we can help a macaw out so we decided that is what we should do.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
So, did Juno get adopted then? I know what you mean, when I did dog rescue I really only kept ones that had issues, I felt guilty keeping the "easy" ones:) I hope you get a macaw to foster that will be a great addition to your family, either will be lucky to have you.

Last edited:

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Congratulations! What a lucky bird. Fortunately there are not a ton of macaws needing homes in this area or I would probably bring them all home!

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Juno (ekkie) is awesome, but he is going to a fabulous fid for someone else. He is just a perfect bird. He steps up, not loud, eats anything you put in front of him, forages like a champ.

My DH and I feel so strongly that we can help a macaw out so we decided that is what we should do.

I do understand! That is so great you are looking to open to a Macaw (I know you really wanted to help one) . ANY bird would be lucky to have you. If we lived closer...I would try and sneak in some birds to uyou here and there why you were not looking! hahahahahaha

Cory

Real Name
Cory

That's completely understandable. I'm adopting out several lovebirds in my care for similar reasons. Good for you for you for helping a bird that some other may not be able to! :) :dance5:

And... CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D :dancing: :dance4:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
OH YES two male macaws can certainly become great friends!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

Not recalling the B&G female from the other site for some reason. :confused: But, very cool, either way :)

:omg:

Is it that female with the aggression issues we all followed so close, with a male owner who had no big bird experience, ohhhhhh what's her name????

Please tell me its her

Status
Not open for further replies.