• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can someone please give me some advice

Morgan J

Moving in
Real Name
Morgan
Hi. I am new to owning parrots (and to forums). I have 4 cockatiels(2 girls,2boys) which I have head reared with a LOT of help. Now that they are grown my neighbour complaining about the noise. They have the run of the house unless I go out. They have a play area with many toys and enrichment activities. I only notice the noise in the evening just before they go to bed but now even when they just sing I am concerned. Can anyone tell me how to make them quieter or how I can record to prove they aren't noisy if they complain to council again ( council said they were fine)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I do not mean to pry, but are you in an apartment? I can not imagine how a neighbor could otherwise hear four cockatiels. As for the volume, you could buy a decibel meter and set it up with a video camera on it to show their volume over a period of time.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I think they sell some type of matting to put against walls, although I can't believe they're really that loud.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome to the forum! I think they sell some type of matting to put against walls, although I can't believe they're really that loud.
They are called acoustic panels, I believe.

Morgan J

Moving in
Real Name
Morgan
Welcome! I do not mean to pry, but are you in an apartment? I can not imagine how a neighbor could otherwise hear four cockatiels. As for the volume, you could buy a decibel meter and set it up with a video camera on it to show their volume over a period of time.
I live in a free standing house . The decibel meter has their noise at a maximum of 88 decibels when standing directly in front of the cage it drops the further away I get and most of the time it is in the 50's

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I live in a free standing house . The decibel meter has their noise at a maximum of 88 decibels when standing directly in front of the cage it drops the further away I get and most of the time it is in the 50's
88 decibels? For cockatiels? Do you mean cockatoos? @sunnysmom does that seem right for cockatiels?

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I live in a free standing house.
Good grief, is this the kind of person who'd complain about the birds singing outside their window? That's wild. I'd record not from inside your home, but from OUTSIDE-- they aren't standing outside the cage, so the decibels in that spot shouldn't matter to anyone but you.

I have apartment budgies and the only noise complaints we get are that we're walking with too heavy a footfall!

Rebel

Jogging around the block
I live on a rural country road. My bird room faces the road. My brother who lives across the road can hear my birds. He was just saying, not complaining.
7 cockatiels
2 conures

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I live on a rural country road. My bird room faces the road. My brother who lives across the road can hear my birds. He was just saying, not complaining.
7 cockatiels
2 conures
Conures are well documented to have contact calls that travel for quite a distance. Also, on top of the two conures, you have 75% more cockatiels than @Morgan J has.

Morgan J

Moving in
Real Name
Morgan
Good grief, is this the kind of person who'd complain about the birds singing outside their window? That's wild. I'd record not from inside your home, but from OUTSIDE-- they aren't standing outside the cage, so the decibels in that spot shouldn't matter to anyone but you.

I have apartment budgies and the only noise complaints we get are that we're walking with too heavy a footfall!
Thank you

Rebel

Jogging around the block
Conures are well documented to have contact calls that travel for quite a distance. Also, on top of the two conures, you have 75% more cockatiels than @Morgan J has.
Putting aside the conures for a moment, are you saying more cockatiels equals louder noise levels?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Putting aside the conures for a moment, are you saying more cockatiels equals louder noise levels?
I am. Just as one macaw is not as loud as three, seven cockatiels are louder than two. And yes, I am aware that each one only puts out so much volume, but they do, to some extent stack. On top of that, the frequency is generally increased with more birds as well.

Rebel

Jogging around the block
I am. Just as one macaw is not as loud as three, seven cockatiels are louder than two. And yes, I am aware that each one only puts out so much volume, but they do, to some extent stack. On top of that, the frequency is generally increased with more birds as well.
Interesting. Im not doubting but i will research it. That being said , i wasnt comparing my apples to his apples. I was simply saying that it IS possible for a neighbor to hear your birds.

Sade

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tish
I had a red-lored Amazon who use to sit in our opened kitchen window in the summer when my daughter played in a park a block away. The parrot would call out my daughter's name and while the other kids would tell my daughter that her mother was calling her (and sounded mad) , my daughter would shrug her shoulders and say"I don't care." (she knew it was the bird) However, when I whistled for her, she would come! (the bird learned the whistle, of course, and that little game was stopped)

Rebel

Jogging around the block
I learned something. Its quite fascinating. Never would have thought that. I have often wondered if 2 lightbulbs were brighter than one or just more light.