• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures can some one shed some light!

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
I would like to reiterate Stormcloud's warning about dogs stressing yourc B&G. She is a prey animal and they are predators.

My GW Jasper is in the middle of a major molt right now and there is down and feathers everywhere. As Macawnutz said, a macaw will have areas that are always look more lightly feathered or even bare. Jasper's bare areas are under her wings and on the insides of her legs.

As your bird is molting she will benefit from more VEGETABLE PROTEIN and vitamin A and fats. I provide these to Jasper with Tofu (uck), prozyme and extra red palm oil. Prozyme is a product that assists in the digestion of proteins. Red Palm oil should be a regular part of her diet and tofu is great for putting weight on a thin bird.

Lots of shower/bathes will encourage preening. If she is a single bird, your help in preening will be appreciated.

I think you are looking at a normal molt, but you can help her along with it.

yes I understand about the dogs.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
I will get some oil that you mentioned . maybe im just a nervous Nellie!!!!

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
I would like to reiterate Stormcloud's warning about dogs stressing yourc B&G. She is a prey animal and they are predators.

My GW Jasper is in the middle of a major molt right now and there is down and feathers everywhere. As Macawnutz said, a macaw will have areas that are always look more lightly feathered or even bare. Jasper's bare areas are under her wings and on the insides of her legs.

As your bird is molting she will benefit from more VEGETABLE PROTEIN and vitamin A and fats. I provide these to Jasper with Tofu (uck), prozyme and extra red palm oil. Prozyme is a product that assists in the digestion of proteins. Red Palm oil should be a regular part of her diet and tofu is great for putting weight on a thin bird.

Lots of shower/bathes will encourage preening. If she is a single bird, your help in preening will be appreciated.

I think you are looking at a normal molt, but you can help her along with it.

THANKS!!!!!!!

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Some moults are heavier than others and may result in the loss of multiple feathers in a particular area, which is quite normal. However, I can only see a very small part of the bird based upon the photos provided. If you suspect plucking at all then I'd advise you make an appointment to see your AV ASAP. Once plucking becomes an established behaviour it can prove extremely difficult to eliminate. Make sure your bird has plenty of interaction with you and your family and that there are always plenty of toys and play areas available to keep your bird busy. Also ensure that her environment is as stress-free as possible...no cats, dogs, etc near her cage.
She is going to the vet on sat. for nail trim so he will check her out then :)

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
UGGGG SOMETIMES I FEEL SO STUPID LIKE RIGHT NOW! THANKS everyone

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
She is going to the vet on sat. for nail trim so he will check her out then :)

When there is uncertainty or worry that is always best. :) She is quite the cutie!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
UGGGG SOMETIMES I FEEL SO STUPID LIKE RIGHT NOW! THANKS everyone
Do not feel stupid. There are no stupid questions when you have concern. We were all new parronts at some point. Thank goodness we have this forum to ask questions. I did not so many years ago.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Do not feel stupid. There are no stupid questions when you have concern. We were all new parronts at some point. Thank goodness we have this forum to ask questions. I did not so many years ago.
I appreciate this forum its been a life saver. When I see a bald spot I worry! I know my others loss feathers and didn't think nothing of it. I am getting another B&G the 29th the girl only had her 2 years and doesn't want him SHE SAID HE IS ABOUT 6 YRS. OLD he has no tail and chest is nothing but fluffies. She said he is free if I'd take him. He is flying on the pet transport plane (is what I call it) SO SAD!

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Your last photo was so much better. I agree with Sarah & ML about this being just a moult...and don't worry, they can all look pretty ratty when they're in the middle of one. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Please let us know what the vet has to say. It is important that we ALL learn from this forum.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I will get some oil that you mentioned . maybe im just a nervous Nellie!!!!
You can't be too nervous until you have the years of experience to determine what is and what is not an issue.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Hankmacanpost: 1926069 said:
You can't be too nervous until you have the years of experience to determine what is and what is not an issue.
Just dont want anything to go wrong. Or over looked I love all my babies!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just dont want anything to go wrong. Or over looked I love all my babies!

:hug8:
Just don't feel stupid and ask as many questions as you need. No one is judging and everyone remembers what it was like to have a new baby. It's better to ask than to stay awake at night worrying.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Hhhhh quote="Macawnutz, post: 1926133, member: 4691"]
:hug8:
Just don't feel stupid and ask as many questions as you need. No one is judging and everyone remembers what it was like to have a new baby. It's better to ask than to stay awake at night worrying.[/quote]
Thanks you all are awesome! :hug8:

Rahel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rahel

I was looking up the red palm oil and there is tons of different ones. Where should I buy it and how do you dose it? How do you offer it to the birds, with their favorite food?
I also will get tofu, good advice, I appreciate it, thank you very much.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Red Palm Oil can be purchased in almost every online bird store. Harrison's makes a product called Sunshine Factor, which is RPO. I have used Avitech's "Aviglo" for a number of years. It usually has the best price and WingedVictory store carries it for sure. When we were trying to re-establish Hank's immune system, he was given .2ml per day by syringe and I recommend that for any bird that is ill or has chronic infections. Otherwise, a few drops on their food or adding it to birdbread or other daily food is great for maintenance. It is amazing what RPO does for their feather quality.

My birds both loved tofu (ughhh) and I would just cut it in 1/4 inch squares and mix in with their food. Avoid any of the flavored tofu's, such as cheese flavor, because they are loaded with salt. I buy the plain extra firm, because it is easy to handle, keep out what I will feed in just a few days and slice and freeze the rest. I give Jasper tofu about twice a week.

Prozyme can be purchased on Amazon ( Amazon.com: prozyme ). Prozyme is a combination of probiotics and digestive enzymes and will actually predigest foods, making it much easier for your bird to assimilate the nutrient values.

These products were all recommended by my vet and I have found them very helpful over the years. As always - don't take anyones word for these things - check with your own vet.