• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can parrots have allergies?

bluefae

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all! I have a hahns macaw and over the winter I noticed my bird had a runny nose and her breathing sounded congested but otherwise acted normal. She was in and out of the vets office for a couple months because nothing seemed to work in clearing up the runny nose. It only affected one nostril at a time and sometimes it would get blocked. She was on antibiotics, was tested for chronic diseases and was also put on a long dose of antifungal. She was at a loss on what could be causing her runny and sniffly nose. It did clear up once I traveled somewhere warmer with her and she has been fine until a few weeks ago I noticed she sometimes will have a runny nose again. It comes and goes but she is acting normal, eating and drinking, and her poops all look normal. It’s like a repeat of the winter.

I am not sure if it is weather related because it’s gotten cold here. Or if it could be allergies, or a mix of the two or something else entirely. Anyone else here with a Hahns that has dealt with something similar? I’m at a loss.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes they can, but it's not common. How's the humidity in your home? My Quaker needed a humidifier because he would get similar symptoms in the winter because it got so dry in my house.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Long shot but maybe there is something you only use in the winter that could cause irritation? Really though to have such a baffling case, I hope you figure it out:)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Allergies, really are more rare in birds.
Macaws being allergic to old world feathers species dust , like cockatoo is documented.

What I think happens, is molt stress, and cooler temp stress , allows chronic hidden health issues to flare up. Sinus issues are notoriously difficult to clear. A sinus flushing from veterinarian can be helpful. One chronic, intermittent, and can be difficult to confirm infection is avian Chlamydia. And it responds only to doxycycline, takes 45 days treatment, ( possible azithromycin) .

I find my sweater heater , radiant warmth. Is very supportive. Quick 5 degree temp changes can put more stress on birds. And the temperature by windows can be lower that the rest of the home. With my terrible windows is very true

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
My hahns had the same clear discharge for few days not long ago, i believe it was from dust or dryness as well. i gavem a good shower and few days later i noticed the nostril seemed less red and went away. hopefully yours does too

just double check humidity levels make sure not too high or low.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm going to link an Avian respiratory medicine veterinarian resource.

I didn't ask about diet , but as other people, web browsers, read these. Diet and respiratory health are linked. Low vitamin A causes all kinds of havoc, and other vitamins and minerals support respiratory and immune system. These are from veggies and leafy greens , the best source , pellets a good source but some talk on added synthetic vitamins. Do not use vitamin drops added to water, more harm than good.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Excerpt from above linked article
" The most useful diagnostic test to evaluate the nasal cavity is the nasal flush, which can be both diagnostic and therapeutic.'

I ve delt with 3 of my own pet birds with chronic sinus issues. When we finally flushed sinuses , with concurrent antibiotics treatment they resolved. One required 3 flushes. The last at end of treatment, when believed the inflammation has come down, debris was flushed out.

Each parrot and their health issues are unique. But for chronic sinus , when diet has been addressed, other causes , I'm a believer in flushes .

"
Rhinoliths

Nasal concretions of debris and infectious agents such as fungal organisms and opportunistic bacteria. Hypovitaminosis A is believed to be a predisposing factor. Rhinoliths are often chronic and insidious"
" Birds should be returned for periodic monitoring, and clients can be instructed on how to perform periodic nasal irrigation at home.'

" Treatment options include nasal irrigation and debridement, topical or systemic antimicrobials based on results of culture and sensitivity, and dietary modification.":

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Allergies, aren't something I find covered in aviain veterinarian medicine. Birds respiratory systems are so different from us and animals. For the most part they are not mucus based system like in animal, they don't have all the cillia in beak, sinus, like in mammals. They don't get snotty , mucus drainage.

While birds can have some clear , or rarely other type drainage. Their immune system is more going to make dry based abscesses, concretions.

They can have a sinus or respiratory infection, with no drainage seen.

While humidity is important, most species evolved in more humid climate. Ultra dry homes need to be addressed. It is beneficial to provide humidity, or steam room treatment, when treating a bird with respiratory infection. I don't feel it is the root causes of sinus issues

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
Allergies, aren't something I find covered in aviain veterinarian medicine. Birds respiratory systems are so different from us and animals. For the most part they are not mucus based system like in animal, they don't have all the cillia in beak, sinus, like in mammals. They don't get snotty , mucus drainage.

While birds can have some clear , or rarely other type drainage. Their immune system is more going to make dry based abscesses, concretions.

They can have a sinus or respiratory infection, with no drainage seen.

While humidity is important, most species evolved in more humid climate. Ultra dry homes need to be addressed. It is beneficial to provide humidity, or steam room treatment, when treating a bird with respiratory infection. I don't feel it is the root causes of sinus issues

filtration is always nice too, not many people have air filters in the bird room. my carbon filter has to be vacuumed every 3 days from all the dust and feathers on it. I replace the hepa portion per year. I dont own the dustier species bird either.