• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can other birds live with lovebirds

Can you mix lovebirds with other small parrots?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Depense on the breed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sunny_Cloudy:)

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Davis Lensch
hello everyone,
I was just wondering if other breeds of birds or parrots with lovebirds I saw a sight that said if you raise lovebirds from chicks with parakeets or/and budgies it will be fine but I wasn’t sure to trust that so I wanted to ask you guys to make sure I always feel wierd mixing parrots and birds but maybe I’m just paranoid that something bad will happen maybe not though so what do you guys think?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends on what you mean. If you mean in the same household? Yes, provided everyone plays nicely. Sometimes birds don't like each other and will attack, so will need to be offered separate living spaces or rotate out of cage time.

If you mean in the same cage, you should not cage two birds together that are not bonded, regardless of species.

Sunny_Cloudy:)

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Davis Lensch
Thanks so much that helped me get a good idea, what about if it was like an aviary (I don’t have one) but I’m just curious if it was a big place could you mix breeds or not?

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Lovebirds can be raised with other parrots in large aviaries though there can be aggression if they are breeding.
Some individual lovebirds bond to other birds like budgies, parrotlets are tiels and can be kept with them.
In general lovebirds are aggressive and best kept with other lovebirds.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Well, I have a lovebird/tiel bonded pair, but it just worked out that way. His last partner before I got him was also a tiel who had passed away before I got him. He had apparently lived with her for most of his life, so that may have influenced him greatly.

But, I agree that they should be kept with only other lovebirds. Mims is fine with Guzma, but she really doesn't like any of my other lovebirds. If I'm not there to supervise, I have to either keep everyone caged or let them out in two groups in different rooms, or Yen will bully her, and I'm worried about her getting seriously hurt. Guzma's the only lovebird I trust not to injure her, since they are a bonded pair.

I really wouldn't put budgies in with lovebirds, especially if you have a bonded pair. If you really want both, it's best to keep them in separate cages or aviaries. I've heard stories about lovebirds killing nesting budgies and their eggs/chicks just because, despite having loads of space and more than enough nesting sites for everyone.

Don't get me wrong; I love lovebirds. I wouldn't have four if I didn't, but you have to have realistic expectations for any species you're getting. Yen routinely chews through rawhide and leather, you got to imagine what sort of damage they could do to another bird, especially a budgie or a tiel, who can't easily defend themselves.