• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Can my new budgie be sick?

cicerothebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Hi guys! As I posted on the welcoming thread my name is Sarah and I just got my handsome budgie Cicero 3 days ago. He wasn't very cheery and energetic all along, he only cheeped like once in 2 hours or so but I just thought he was trying to adjust so I wasn't really concerned.

I never had a bird before so I don't have any experience on how they acted but he wasn't like this in the first 2 days. He is more puffed when I am around him, he kinda shivers, he's more afraid of me today although I only put my hand into the cage to take the perches and wash them and he was freaked out.

After he was freaked out I noticed that he had blocked nose cause it sounded like he was having hard time to breath then I saw he was breathing through his mouth too. He still doesn't move in his cage, he's quite still and he almost never cheeps but he makes this weird noise like a creaking noise or moaning noise. And his head is usually down like in the picture I don't know if it's something odd or not.

His eating is normal not too much, he wasn't eating much since he came but I only saw him drinking water twice I don't think he drinks that much. I checked his poop and it looks quite normal according to the ones I saw in internet, I saw one runny one but except those they're all like little balls white some white stuff on them.

I'm not living in a place where we have avian vets, I could only find two and one is an hour away, and if I take public transportation probably 2 the other is even further. So I wanna be sure before I do that because I don't wanna cause stress to him he just came home from the petshop. And after, I called them and said could he be sick or not and they said we can't know without seeing him so they weren't helpful at all.

Am I just being paranoid? What can I do to help him, cause I'm not sure if he is sick or he's just homesick. All help would be great, thanks!

Attachments

cicerothebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
you should take all new birds to the vet for their first checkup
The guy in petshop said they're all healthy. I would've take him to the pet shop but the closest avian veterinary is 1-2 hours away, that's 3-4 on total and they're only open on weekdays :(

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am sorry you are not getting redponses but to help him beathe better getting the humidity up one way is to turn on the shower hot water near him in a closed room may help

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
Just so you know the default answer here is generally going to be "take bird to vet". If that isn't possible you might consider that Cicero is stressed out a little because he is in a new place? The trembling thing - both my birds do that - not sure I understand it (I am a novice) but it's clearly not shivering because of illness.

Of all the things you mention above the only thing that makes me worry is the mouth breathing. Hopefully others will chime in- people with real bird experience

What sort of fruits and veggies do budgies like? Maybe he needs some special treats to make him less worried.

cicerothebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
I've found an another one through one thread on 911 in AA, it's so much more closer to me around 40 m away, this is
i am sorry you are not getting redponses but to help him beathe better getting the humidity up one way is to turn on the shower hot water near him in a closed room may help
He is sleeping now, but I will try it tomorrow first thing. Thank you :)

Just so you know the default answer here is generally going to be "take bird to vet". If that isn't possible you might consider that Cicero is stressed out a little because he is in a new place? The trembling thing - both my birds do that - not sure I understand it (I am a novice) but it's clearly not shivering because of illness.

Of all the things you mention above the only thing that makes me worry is the mouth breathing. Hopefully others will chime in- people with real bird experience

What sort of fruits and veggies do budgies like? Maybe he needs some special treats to make him less worried.
Yes, I know but I just wanted to ask the community before taking him out to a long journey because I don't have a car. I may be paranoid or overly concerned :) Um I tried giving him apples, peppers, broccoli and oranges but he's not going near them he only eats seed so treats aren't working :D

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Except for what you think that his nostrils look stuffed, he seems to act like most budgies do when they arrive in a new home and are kept singly (no other budgies or birds to hear or see). He is stressed out, afraid that all of the sudden he is by himself (no other budgies around = potential danger)
I'd only worry about the stuffed nostrils and maybe the sound he makes, but hearing him in a vid would be helpful.

Still, a vet visit would be the best!

Offer him spray millet; it's great for adjusting and/ or possibly not feeling well birds. Easily digestible and most budgies love it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He could just be very scared and stressed but no harm in having him checked out by a vet. He looks good in the avatar photo and also in the photo attached to your post. However, you are seeing his actual activity level and his breathing patterns. Don't bug him too much and you may also want to keep the cage partially covered.

cicerothebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
He could just be very scared and stressed but no harm in having him checked out by a vet. He looks good in the avatar photo and also in the photo attached to your post. However, you are seeing his actual activity level and his breathing patterns. Don't bug him too much and you may also want to keep the cage partially covered.
Thank you I hope he is actually okay, I am going to do a check up anyways just in case even if he gets better! I left him alone in my room for the day with some radio on while covering the cage partially as you said, I checked him for like 5-10 mins every hour sweet talked etc. :) I'm gonna do the same thing tomorrow too, hopefully he gets well soon :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If your bird is breathing through his mouth and there are resipiratory noises - he is almost certainly sick. Pet shops are noted for their lack of knowledge and/or their ability to lie to new owners.

All new birds should have a well bird checkup in order to discover any illnesses they are trying to hide and to establish baseline values for the bird.

Your vet should give him a thorough external exam, including eyes, ears, nostrils, vent and his flexibility in his legs and wings. He should look down his throat to determine if there are signs of an infection (redness) and do a fecal swab. This examination is the minimum and you should insist on it. If there are signs of illness your vour vet will want to perform other tests such as a CBC, Chem Panel and an exray.

Buying a bird is the very least of the responsibilities and expenses you accept.

cicerothebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
If your bird is breathing through his mouth and there are resipiratory noises - he is almost certainly sick. Pet shops are noted for their lack of knowledge and/or their ability to lie to new owners.

All new birds should have a well bird checkup in order to discover any illnesses they are trying to hide and to establish baseline values for the bird.

Your vet should give him a thorough external exam, including eyes, ears, nostrils, vent and his flexibility in his legs and wings. He should look down his throat to determine if there are signs of an infection (redness) and do a fecal swab. This examination is the minimum and you should insist on it. If there are signs of illness your vour vet will want to perform other tests such as a CBC, Chem Panel and an exray.

Buying a bird is the very least of the responsibilities and expenses you accept.
Thank you! As I said I will take him to the vet as soon as possible, I also want to do the check ups and be sure. Thank you also about the information about the external exam, I will definitely pay attention.

And he is my baby now I won't hold anything to help him :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
you might try taking him into bathroom, where you have run a hot shower and created some steam. stay in the bathroom with him, and sit quietly with him. the steam might help his breathing some what. JMO, pet shops that sell birds have little to no knowledge in how to properly care for the birds they sell. they buy birds in huge quantities, these are birds that come to them in boxes of 20, 30 or more. one of those birds is sick and it spreads like wildfire thru the whole flock. some babies are able to fight off the sickness but a lot of them wind up ill too. asap see avian vet.

JayByrd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
Just writing in to say I hope your bird starts doing better, and hope you can find away to the vet. It seems like he is in good care though, you certainly care about him. I'm just curious, have you tried the hot shower thing? did it help his breathing?

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
I hope your budgie is doing better. You may consider playing some budgie tunes for part of the day via you tube. Since you are worried re sick dont fuss over whether hes eating fruit and veg just make sure he has plenty of seed you can add other stuff later when he is well and settled. Also if you think he may be sick he needs to be kept warm between 28 and 32 degrees celsius. Just sit by his cage and chat very soothingly and quietly and as you are doing just put your hand in cage when necessary. Again, once hes settled you can do more. I do hope you can get to a vet soon. Good luck :fingerscrossed: and:welcome2:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'd be concerned about open mouth & breathing noises.
Like many said run hot shower in closed bathroom & let bird inhale steam to try to clear breathing

I hope your cutie is Ok.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It's normal for a budgie in a new home to be very quiet and inactive; panting or breathing hard when frightened is also normal. But a vet checkup is always a good idea.
You said that when you offered a cracker to him, he ate that instead of his other food. What are you feeding him?
If you are feeding him pellets, be aware that that budgies are notoriously difficult to convert to pellets or other unfamiliar foods (many don't recognize them as food), so he might not have eaten anything the first day you had him, and this might have caused some weakness. Of course the fact that he's still around now means he's eating whatever you are offering him. But it wouldn't hurt to give him some familiar seed mix or healthy treat like spray millet to make sure he's getting enough.

cicerothebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Just writing in to say I hope your bird starts doing better, and hope you can find away to the vet. It seems like he is in good care though, you certainly care about him. I'm just curious, have you tried the hot shower thing? did it help his breathing?
Yes, I tried it yesterday and he woke me up at 7 a.m by cheeping so that must be a good sign and I'm not hearing any hardship of breath, it must have worked :)

It's normal for a budgie in a new home to be very quiet and inactive; panting or breathing hard when frightened is also normal. But a vet checkup is always a good idea.
You said that when you offered a cracker to him, he ate that instead of his other food. What are you feeding him?
If you are feeding him pellets, be aware that that budgies are notoriously difficult to convert to pellets or other unfamiliar foods (many don't recognize them as food), so he might not have eaten anything the first day you had him, and this might have caused some weakness. Of course the fact that he's still around now means he's eating whatever you are offering him. But it wouldn't hurt to give him some familiar seed mix or healthy treat like spray millet to make sure he's getting enough.
I bought some Versele Laga Budgie seeds and crackers, I am giving those. When I hang the seeds he used it as a perch and only ate that so I took it away. I bought the spray millet last night it should arrive tomorrow :)

I hope your budgie is doing better. You may consider playing some budgie tunes for part of the day via you tube. Since you are worried re sick dont fuss over whether hes eating fruit and veg just make sure he has plenty of seed you can add other stuff later when he is well and settled. Also if you think he may be sick he needs to be kept warm between 28 and 32 degrees celsius. Just sit by his cage and chat very soothingly and quietly and as you are doing just put your hand in cage when necessary. Again, once hes settled you can do more. I do hope you can get to a vet soon. Good luck :fingerscrossed: and:welcome2:
I didn't think of playing budgie tunes, I am gonna try it now, I was for some reason opening some jazz radio stations. I thought pop could've been too loud :D