• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Mom see me playing with her babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCrowns

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I've been trying to get the 5 babies(the oldest now 30 days old) out of the nestbox every day or so to get them 'hand tame'.
Can I let Mom see me playing with them or should I keep her in the travel carrier while they are out?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I hand feed mine. but when I remove them when they're under 3 weeks old to clean the nest box, band them or just to check up on them I always let the parents see them - it helps them not stress out - If they can't see them they pace back and forth and my lovebird moms will screech loudly until they can see them again

not sure if all birds are like that though but thats how i've done it with my budgies , lovebirds, Conure, and Tiels

AZReno

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lynn
30 days is old to be doing that, next time I would start earlier than that.

BlueCrowns

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Can Mom be out flying around etc when I'm holding the babies? Or should she be in her carrier?
She's very cage aggressive, but when she is flying around etc. she always flies right to me to hang out on my shoulder etc...I'm just not sure how she would react to me holding her babies while she was out and could get to them.

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
yes, you can hold them w/ mom seeing you doing so. i just got done doing this w/ my pair. i would take out the babies to hold them while mom and dad were out as well. pictures please!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.