• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I bake with parchment paper?

Joanncat

Moving in
Is parchment paper safe to bake with when you have a bird? I have seen conflicting info. It would be put on an aluminum baking sheet. Thanks!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Regular silicone parchment paper should be ok

Says to be safe don't bake over 400 deg

Last edited:

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I have never had a problem with parchment paper and I bake quite a bit.

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
Even if you would use pure teflon nobody bakes @ 260C/500F (degrees).
Not a single fume molecule can exist@ baking temperatures (Polymer fumes).

"Does parchment paper have PFOA?
:These widely used chemicals are popular with the food industry but they also accumulate in our bodies over time. ... It comes after a number of studies have in recent years suggested that fluorinated substances - such as PFOA and other compounds found in Teflon and parchment paper - can be harmful".

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Actually, baking sourdough (which I do), does require the baker to heat their oven to very high temperatures. My oven doesn't allow me to heat it that high, but I do know bakers who heat their oven to 270C or more. It's a valid concern.

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
Actually, baking sourdough (which I do), does require the baker to heat their oven to very high temperatures. My oven doesn't allow me to heat it that high, but I do know bakers who heat their oven to 270C or more. It's a valid concern.
Well very little will be released insignificantly small amounts.

Polymer fume fever or fluoropolymer fever, also informally called Teflon flu, is an inhalation fever caused by the fumes released when polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, known under the trade name Teflon) reaches temperatures of 300 °C (572 °F) to 450 °C (842 °F).[1] When PTFE is heated above 450 °C the pyrolysis products are different and inhalation may cause acute lung injury.[2] Symptoms are flu-like (chills, headaches and fevers) with chest tightness and mild cough. Onset occurs about 4 to 8 hours after exposure to the pyrolysis products of PTFE. A high white blood cell count may be seen and chest x-ray findings are usually minimal.

The polymer fumes are especially harmful to certain birds whose breathing, optimized for rapidity, allows toxins which are excluded by human lungs. Fumes from Teflon in very high heat are fatal to parrots,[3] as well as some other birds (PTFE toxicosis).[4]

Polymer fume fever - Wikipedia.

I know single molecules starts to evaporate @ 260C/500F. To be sure do not use it while baking sourdough.

Guava123

Walking the driveway
Even the fumes from a little Teflon like cooking an egg is dangerous. Wouldn't risk it. If you're baking a cake or something you can use butter.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I use parchment paper in baking. The type I use is plain, unbleached and doesn't have a released coating on it. @Khizz does a lot of baking but I don't know if she uses parchment paper.

Reactions: tka

TKP

Moving in
I realize this thread is 2 years old, but could anyone kindly cite examples of specific brands and types of parchment paper that they have safely used for baking? I have the Walmart brand Great Value Unbleached Compostable Parchment paper. Is this safe for making cheesecake in non-coated aluminum springform pans? There were a bunch of other name-brands as well on the shelf, but all them were bleached.
Great Value Unbleached Compostable Parchment Paper, 50 Sq ft - Walmart.com

Thank you,
TKP

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I hate seeing this talk on Teflon and the like only needing to reach certain temps before being deadly. These chemicals degrade over time and it's not safe to rely on temp. So many dead bird stories

TKP

Moving in
@Pixiebeak - is Teflon (PTFE/PFOA) found in parchment paper too? I thought parchment paper was only silicone coated. Is this safe, and if yes, any brand you'd recommend?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
@Pixiebeak - is Teflon (PTFE/PFOA) found in parchment paper too? I thought parchment paper was only silicone coated. Is this safe, and if yes, any brand you'd recommend?
I just don't know.......I just don't..
I use tinfoil, aleays have , but then I e heard others say there is risk .. otherwise I use glass , stainless, or cast iron

Reactions: TKP