• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can anyone identify this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophiamarini

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sophia
Tree for me???
It hangs over the aviary and drops about a million flowers a day. The Alexs don't seem bothered but sometimes will hang from the roof and pull the flowers through. They don't seem to eat them, it is more for fun I think.
I have a lot of other birds that visit the tree and when it is flower the lorikeets visit every morning, so I am not too worried about it, but still would like to know what it is.

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Ummm. Got a picture for us? lol.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
a pic or a description of the flowers - shape color etc and the same for the leaves? :D

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
beautiful tree and don't feel like an idiot, I have to edit almost every time I post a link because I have forgotten to include it!

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
'tis maybe a type of Acacia. Not sure which one though, possibly Acacia dealbata or Acacia adunca? :huh:

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
c'mon Steve - I was counting on you to identify it - I had gotten as far as a type of acacia but the blooms looked different than Acacia dealbata (silver wattle)

I did discover in my searching that in Australia, what we call 'Mimosas' are known as Persian Silk Trees :D

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Can you get a nice close up photo of the flowers?

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
c'mon Steve - I was counting on you to identify it - I had gotten as far as a type of acacia but the blooms looked different than Acacia dealbata (silver wattle)

I did discover in my searching that in Australia, what we call 'Mimosas' are known as Persian Silk Trees :D
:p

Changed my mind. I'm inclined to think that it might be Peltophorum pterocarpum, Yellow Poinciana. :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
The leaves are like a Mimosa's, but a Mimosa has fluffier flowers.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Ok, it seems that Poinciana come under the 'not safe' plants list. Should I be worried?
It's only 'known as' a poinciana, it doesnt actually have a proper common name. The 'true' poinciana has red-flowers and belongs to a totally different family of trees (Delonix regia). If the wild birds are eating it then I would not be concerned.

sophiamarini

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sophia
Thanks Steve - that's what I thought.
I know the red trees well, I love them, they are stunning when in flower. I knew that they were no good for birds but this yellow one is not quite the same. I guess if the flowers are good enough for the loris then I should be fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.