• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can 3 live together

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
I'am wondering can 3 unsexed rosy bourkes live together if they are from the same litter? I decided that I'am interested in 3 because they are extremely hard to find around in ontario.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Same clutch birds may bicker a bit. Three birds in same cage could get into territory fights. Can you get 4 instead?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
For what I have heard are Bourkes very sweet birds that lives in flocks so I think it will be fine.

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
I've assumed from all I've heard about them they would be okay in 3 ' s. However I don't know for sure. Can anyone else weigh in, would it be a mistake to get 3?

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Outside of in-cage community politics between 3 potential birds, is there any benefit for you getting 3 babies instead of, say, 1 or 2? Your rationale in the first post just mentions that they're hard to come by. No judgements here, just questions - :)
Having gone through an emergency with our guy, and spending ~$700 on vet bills in just short of 9 days, adding three birds at once seems like an incredible commitment.

Whatever you choose, our one Bourke's is a happy (and now healthy) little guy who likes tons of attention, and is very bonded with us. If you want to bond with one bird, go for 1. :)

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
I would love to own all 3 babies, not only because they are hard to find, but because I've seen all 3 babies and adore them all and would love to get them, but only if people think all 3 will get along fine? I know it's a commitment , but I think we could handle it.
Outside of in-cage community politics between 3 potential birds, is there any benefit for you getting 3 babies instead of, say, 1 or 2? Your rationale in the first post just mentions that they're hard to come by. No judgements here, just questions - :)
Having gone through an emergency with our guy, and spending ~$700 on vet bills in just short of 9 days, adding three birds at once seems like an incredible commitment.

Whatever you choose, our one Bourke's is a happy (and now healthy) little guy who likes tons of attention, and is very bonded with us. If you want to bond with one bird, go for 1. :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It will be better to have them in pairs, but as I said Bourkes lives in flocks.
I have a friend that have 5 in a aviary with no fight at all.
Get all three, and later get one more when you find it. But get them a big cage and make a setup so they all will have places to sleep on.

And don't get 1. They need each other. For their sake they should bond to each other and that is the only way that they will be really happy.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And also if you have Bourkes they need to fly a lot every day. That is why many have them in bigger aviary's. (both indoors and outdoors)
So no wing-clipping!

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
And also if you have Bourkes they need to fly a lot every day. That is why many have them in bigger aviary's. (both indoors and outdoors)
So no wing-clipping!
I have a double flight cage, and I plan to let them out everyday, because I'am home all day.

Zephyria

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
TDawn Maddox
My three do great together. They're easygoing birds.

Like everyone else has said..they LOVE to fly. Mine spend most of the morning flying around the room visiting their various perches, or singing. Time outside the cage is a must with these guys.

If they're in an enclosed room, and they're familiar with their cage as their safe place, you won't have to worry overmuch about getting them put back up either. Mine all return to their cage around noon or 1 for an afternoon nap, and I'll either close cage doors then, or at night when they've returned to the cage to roost for the night.

Once or twice Pink Lemonade has fallen asleep on top of the cage, rather than inside, but she's fine with doing a step up and I'll deposit her in the cage. She only lets me do this if she's sleepy though.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The biggest concern (which I know you've read this elsewhere) is if you end up with males and females and they're related and interested in breeding. You would want to discourage breeding between siblings. Other than that, if you have a big cage, I don't see an issue.