• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calling all men that are bird lovers....

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

I asked this question specifically. I do know women are usually the nurturers, and caretakers. BUT....as a person who takes in birds in need...I see many birds that are bonded soley to men. Now, in most cases finding a home where a man will provide the care or a home without men at all..is not the easiest thing to do. As women, if we care for something we want ALL OF IT. Many women decide to give up birds because the bird soley bonded to the man of the house. This happens more that 50% here with the birds that come in. This is why I asked the question.
I also notice that most men like birds for reasons that are not very good, they do not investigate as thoroughly on issues such as dietary needs, training, behaviors, etc.
This is just what I notice about adopters NOT people on this board. I wanted to make that point clear.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I am lucky in that Paul and I split the duties 50/50. And it wasn't even my choice, I had some trouble relinquishing some of the "mom" duties to him hehe. But, Archie has always been my bird, and Paul has always been wary of Archie. He will allow him to perch on his shoulder and stuff, but he's not down with letting Archie give him kissies or giving Archie scritches or anything like that. I (wrongfully) assumed Paul was not a bird person. Ella has changed all of that! He is so smitten with her, that I will actually get a text message when I get home reminding me to give Ella her "yum yums" that he made for her the night before, and he'll tell me where its covered in the fridge :rolleyes:. I do most of the cage cleaning and he still isn't so keen on getting poop on himself, even though he'll clean it off of a surface (and subsequently has potty-perch trained Ella, which I thought was amazing), but he assists with cooking and feeding, clean water, and most important to the birds: constuction of perches, toys, and stands. Our entire house is beginning to look like one big bird room hehe

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
My husband cleans the cages, feeds the birds when I'm at work and is the primary person for the CAG. He is also the favourite person for the GCC. The Sun is bonded to me.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I asked this question specifically. I do know women are usually the nurturers, and caretakers. BUT....as a person who takes in birds in need...I see many birds that are bonded soley to men. Now, in most cases finding a home where a man will provide the care or a home without men at all..is not the easiest thing to do. As women, if we care for something we want ALL OF IT. Many women decide to give up birds because the bird soley bonded to the man of the house. This happens more that 50% here with the birds that come in. This is why I asked the question.
I also notice that most men like birds for reasons that are not very good, they do not investigate as thoroughly on issues such as dietary needs, training, behaviors, etc.
This is just what I notice about adopters NOT people on this board. I wanted to make that point clear.
My B&G was raised by a man--he handfed her as a chick. But, yeah, his reasons for wanting to do so were a bit wonky--the "those are so cool" type of thing, which never lasts, of course.

GRANNYKAT50

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
kathy
What I find very interesting is when my husband talks to me about the birds he always refers to them as mine even though Buddy was gotten for him. When I first got Sprout I would give him kisses and my husband said how can you do that. Well now he (all 6'5")takes the birds out and has them do step ups and he says gimme kisses and will kiss their beaks or they preen his beard for him. I think the brids relate better to him or at least co-operate better for him. I think that if something ever happened to me he would take on all the work to keep them.
Your information was really interesting to hear. Thanks for sharing it with us. :hug8:
He comes on this site and talkparrotlets and reads about birds but he would never post anything (LOL) but then again after 32 years of marraige he may surprise me.

Last edited:

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Well many kudos to the men who will step in and help do the dirty work!

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Even though my hubby takes care of a lot of our little guys (especially Honu), I never in a million years thought he'd show up on this board. Then when he came home with our rescues, Max and Emma I found out he had signed on here to ask questions about them! It was under my name...but still. We're showing progress!

sueb45

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sue
My dh has taken care of the feeding and covering at night when I can't but what he HAS done is put together all my cages when I got them. For that I was really grateful. I could have done it myself but "letting" him do it seemed to be the thing to do at the moment. :rofl:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I'm in the same boat with you, Crystal. My hubby likes them, but isn't in LOVE with them as I am. I am my birds' primary caretaker. He loves the dogs & helps with the dogs MUCH more.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I do.
I'm single so it's just me and my 9 yo. son and he won't touch any poop.
Told him if I'd have felt the same he'd be wearing a huge diaper that never got cleaned LOL.
hahaha good one

I love hearing about your dads relationship with the birds :)

I confess my 84 year old Dad is the chief AM /night time caretaker. It started when we acquired the first bird (beloved canary hen Herbie) for my Mom and her increasing dementia made it impossible for her to care for the bird. Since I was and am a third shifter( mainly 5pm. to midnight) the actual feeding and morning cleaning fell to Dad. The overall care, expense, food ,set ups was and is my domain.

What's funny is how Mr. Stoic/hard Heart became seduced by the growing flock. With the first tiel , I would creep up on him early in the morning and watch him holding a toasted bagel for Fritzie to munch on. Now , the rehome tiel Dusty is his "boy", he plays with Rika, the sun, he loves to give the budgies their bath, and stays awake at night thinking of fun stuff to give all the fids.

The birds love him(me too). Of course it helps that he bribes them with millet and pine nuts.!!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
See this is what I need. A single guy who loves birds who will let me move in and live in parrot dise with him.
See this is what I need. A new wife that loves the birds as much as I do and can shoulder some of the burden. :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:lol:I think we have made a match! hahahahahahah Just kidding!:rofl:
Now if I could just find a way of unhooking the ball and chain you may have something there!! (JK) :D

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Actually my dad is the complete caretaker of his bird Kelly who is a Red Lore Amazon Parrot. Dad is the only one she allows near her… Kelly hates my mom because she is jealous of her - LOL. Dad feeds, cleans cages, goes food shopping for. Kelly will “tolerate” me, when she is desperate. ROFLTo go one step further about what a great parront he is. I joined our local bird club in October. Well they had been having their once a month meetings at this one place for years but unfortunately this hall recently jacked up our rent by 75%! YIKES! So our club went around trying to find a more affordable place and one that will allow us to bring our birds which wasn’t easy to do. But you know what? Dad made a few calls and found a affordable hall that we are allowed to bring our birds. YAY!

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
My hubby is just as bird crazy as me. He and I share cleaning and 90% of the time he has at least one bird on a shoulder if not both shoulders and a knee.

feebee

Jogging around the block
My dad is a bird lover, he and my mum started the Alphabet names so i continued on that tradition and now have Gerald, and Harry/ hedwig (still cant decide which name) my Dad had budgies growing up as a kid, and passed the love of them onto me and my brother (my sister is scared of them!) but at the moment its only me and mum who have them,

my brother use to be able to call Fred (my budgie who passed a year or so ago) to his arm, when we let him out for flights, where as i always had to pick him up from the lamp shade, never did come to me when i called!

My partner, also enjoys having Gerald, however he only plays with him, where as i do all the cleaning feeding etc

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
Kai was raised by men and is much more apt to like a male friend of mine rather than a female. He HATES my roommate but is tolerates her boyfriend. He likes my boyfriend, too, so that's a huge plus, though I'm still the favored person.

The boyfriend has expressed his interest in birds a number of times since meeting Kai (and Linus) and relies on me to teach him things. I showed him a video I'd posted on Youtube and he found Joanna's videos of Summer.. I think he caught the bug! I'd never expect him to go online for information but he's said he wouldn't mind having a large bird later on. :rolleyes: Not that I'm going to complain!

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
Im so lucky with the boyfriend i have! Julio was the one getting me into birds. We both take care of the birds, but the one with the day off or working best hours is taking care of the birds. Julio is the best, he really cares for our birds. At the moment he is the main caretaker of the birds, i try and help him out when i can. He is also on the forum.
I am worried that he is gonna steal the birdies love, then i will get really jealous!!

Status
Not open for further replies.