• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calling all HYACINTH Macaw owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

catnloco

Sprinting down the street
My dream bird has always been a Hy Macaw. Yesterday I was kidding around when I said to my husband "If I ever win the lottery and buy a Hyacinth I am going to name him tweety".
Well I know we are going to be coming into some money in the next few months but the last thing on my mind was buying a Hy Macaw with some of it. I want to get out of debt and buy a new bigger house... Hubby informed me that if everything goes as planned he is going to be buying my dream bird :dance4::dance4::dance4:...
I have done a LOT of reading on them but nothing compairs to advice from those who own them
So here is what I want to know .......
What do you feed yours on a daily basis?
Where did you buy yours?
Were you happy with the breeder?
If you don't want to talk about breeders on the board please send me a PM.
Thanks a million in advance

Shadera

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Shadera
I don't have one, but I know of a wonderful breeder in PA who could probably answer those for you, to help give you a bit more insight. Her hys are gorgeous, and she raises mostly macaws. Depending on where you're located, you might even be able to go visit her. She's near Pittsburgh.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
i have 4 they all came from a breeder in Michigan..(if you want more info i would be happy to give it to you)They are WONDERFUL birds..mine eat nuts(Mac,Brazil,Pine,Almond,Haz,Pecans,Pas)Sweet potatoes,corn,pasta,Pellets,fresh fruit(apples,Grapes,Banana,Pom)are their fav...also make up a mix of fruit and Was peas from Bulk foods(unsulferated unsweetend)but with mine 70% of what they eat are their nuts...

catnloco

Thank you Tanya for the diet information. It sounds alot like what I feed my Greenwing (only more nuts)...lol. I would love the information on the breeder in Michigan. I am also going to keep my eyes open for one that might need to be re-homed but I know that does NOT happen everyday with this species.

catnloco

Shadera I was just in Pittsburgh this morning if you could give me her name and info that would be wonderful. I know of a breeder in the area that has a mated pair but.........they have never gone to nest for her.

Cassidy

Strolling the yard
They don't do much for me, but my boyfriend who knew nothing about birds prior to meeting me has been flipping through my birdtalk magazines lately. He stated a couple weeks ago that he likes the "big blue ones." He showed me a picture of a Hy and the look on his face was priceless when I told him what one would cost. :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They don't do much for me, but my boyfriend who knew nothing about birds prior to meeting me has been flipping through my birdtalk magazines lately. He stated a couple weeks ago that he likes the "big blue ones." He showed me a picture of a Hy and the look on his face was priceless when I told him what one would cost. :)
:lol:

catnloco

We do all have our likes and dislikes. I personally don't care for hybirds but I do know others who love them.

onthewingsofmacaws

Real Name
Patricia
I love the Hy's but If I had one it would be an only bird because they are so expensive not only to buy but also to keep. I could not afford any more than 1 and only if I had no other birds. So since giving up my other birds is not an option for me unless I come into allot of money I will never ever have one. I have a Green wing which has always been my dream bird and he is big and sweet and all the bird I need.:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.