• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calling all cockatiel Breeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim0398

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
I need a major lesson in mutations for cockatiels. I have been using a link call the cockatiel color pallet Cockatiel Color Palette

I use this before I purchase or I am considering pairing two colors up, but I have been really struggling with it since I am hearing diffrent people saying dont breed this to that. I will also contain a link to my birds and the diffrent pairs I have.

If anyone could let me know any adivce or tips to what colors go where and which colors can produce what new colors that would be greatly appreciatated and incredably nice.

FYI I have gotten hit with this response before that my pictures on my website the birds dont seem to be cramed with toys in there cages. My birds have plenty of toys just with the shots I took I had to place them in certain cages just to get a good shot.
Thank you
Timothy
Also if you want to email me with other infor my email is
tim0398@gmail.com
Our Nest - Cockatiels Please also look in my updates section for the colors of the pairs I currantly have

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
FYI I have gotten hit with this response before that my pictures on my website the birds dont seem to be cramed with toys in there cages.
--------------------------
They are your birds, and IMHO screw what others think.

My first impressions when looking at the pix's of the pairs was...Yikes! there was no bedding in the Normal pearl hen (her wing flights did not look like she was a cinnamon pearl) with the normal WF/pd (or light WF pied)

The WF pearl is paired with a WF split to pied. Is the hen also split to pied?

The baby Pastelface grey is not a PF...it is a normal grey split to WF. The check patches are more indicative of a split to WF, and are not the color of a PF check patches.

tim0398

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
thats what I thought about the baby pastel face, or what I thought it was ok here are my birds and whatever spilts they have.

The normal pearl with the Wf is split to pearl, because the babiers are all either normal pearl, or white face pearl.
The Psatel face is a Cinnamon Pied Pastel face the hen is a Cinnamon pearl I know because its the correct cinnamon color for a Cinn Pearl, she is not split to anything that I know of except that every so often they have a white downed chick, the others I either get psatel faced pieds or other forms of pastel.
The white faced pied with the white Lutino they always have The all white pearls.
The grays I just got yesterday So I dont know what there babies will look like
The white faced pearl with the wf male, they tend to have lots of Cinnamon White faces, the pearls that look like the hen, and our currant its all white with red eyes and pink feet, been told its a true albino and not a clear lutino I dont know no pictures for it yet.
and the last is a White face that I though was silver come to find out its not male pariered with a lutino white face they just hatced a baby today.
That is all I know

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
been told its a true albino and not a clear lutino I dont know no pictures for it yet.
-----------------------

There is no 'true albino' What the baby would be is a Whiteface Lutino OR since the male is split to cinnamon the baby (she) could be a Whiteface cinnamon lutino

The Pastel face is a Cinnamon Pied Pastel face the hen is a Cinnamon pearl I know because its the correct cinnamon color for a Cinn Pearl, she is not split to anything that I know of except that every so often they have a white downed chick, the others I either get psatel faced pieds or other forms of pastel.

OK...if you occassionaly get a white down baby then the hen is split to WF. BUT with this pairing most babies are going to be normal cheek patched birds split to pastelface. Rarely will you get a true visual pastelface chick. The male must be paired with a visual WF hen in order to get pastel chicks that you do not have to guess what the heck they are. When PF is paired with WF you can tell immediately upon hatch which are PF or WF by the down color.

The white faced pied with the white Lutino they always have The all white pearls.

If ALL babies are pearls then BOTH parents are pearls.

tim0398

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
So heres a question when a pair is bonded how do I get them unbonded, I have switched birds around before but they were "never feeding each other" so it was ok, I have one pair that feeds each other, how do I switch my colors around, when they dont breed if there mate is in the same room, not in the same cage?

tim0398

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
Also what colors are best paired up when I have babies that are not related, I NEVER BREED RELATED PAIRS AND NEVER WILL, but what would you suggest. and I did finally get a pair of normal grays should I seperate them and mix them with someone else

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Tim...I am a visual person meaning you will have to post good clear pix's of your pairs in thuis thread. I don't want to go to a website, or look at small pix's that do not show much.

I NEED to see exactly the birds you are talking about. I've learned many times a beginning breeders many times does not know what mutations they have or can tell splits or any other identifiers of other genes the bird carries.

As to splittting pairs what you do is separate them (perferably in different rooms and each with another group of birds)...give a MINIMUN of a month before repairing with another bird. The reason for this is that if the pair mated before splitting up this allows time for viable sperm to disapate.

As to cockatiels, RARELY do they feed each other whether bonded or not. It is keets, lovebirds and other species of birds that may feed mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.